AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keywords between campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

This is my first post so please be gentle! I'm now managing the Adwords campaign for our fancy dress business after a period of being managed by a ppc company. My query is regarding the use of negative keywords in our campaigns.

We have numerous different campaigns set-up but for the sake of this example I've used just three of them:

Gangster Campaign

Example adgroups are:

1920s fancy dress

gangster fancy dress

flapper dresses

etc....

Locations Campaign 

Example Adgroups are:

Cardiff (e.g. keywords: cardiff fancy dress, costume shops in Cardiff)

Swansea

Bristol

London

etc....

Generic Campaign

Example Adgroups are:

Fancy Dress

Fancy Dress Outfits

Plus Size Costumes

etc....

Apart from the use of negative keywords to optimise the campaign another use for them I have read about (from Brad Geddes - Certified Knowledge) is to use them to make sure the most relevant ads are displayed in Google based on the search query.

Therefore, would it be correct to also create campaign negative keywords in the Gangster campaign for the main keywords used in the Locations and Generic campaigns? That is, create the following negative keywords for the Gangster campaign:

Cardiff

Swansea

Bristol

London

Fancy Dress

Fancy Dress Outfits

Plus Size Costumes

In the Location campaign:

1920s fancy dress

gangster fancy dress

flapper dresses

Fancy Dress

Fancy Dress Outfits

Plus Size Costumes

In the Generic campaign:

1920s fancy dress

gangster fancy dress

flapper dresses

Cardiff

Swansea

Bristol

London

I do hope I've explained that clearly and any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Luke

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative Keywords between campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Luke & welcome to the Community.

It's a brave man that contradicts Mr Geddes, & I won't do it here (yet).  Is your business national?  Can you give us some more info on your business structure?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Negative Keywords between campaigns

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

The use of negative keywords can be a very effective way of steering your account to have the ad you want to be shown to be shown at the right time. But it can also make your account very complex, maybe unnecessarily complex. Before starting using loads of negatives I´d check if I really have a problem (run search term reports) and consider other ways of steering traffic to different ad groups (such as bids and match types).