4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keyword phrase where first word changes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do I add negative word that may be part of a word or words I might need? For example, I would like to add GA, abbreviation for Georgia, without effecting searches including leGAl.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative Keyword phrase where first word changes

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Karen,

I would think its risky to directly add GA as you would be blocking out your own keywords.
I would not recommend negating this keywords directly...
- check you Search Terms Report - negate the terms that you wish. maybe in exact or phrase match type
- use keyword phrases to negate.. for example... -"cars georgia", -"cars GA"
This would ensure that GAI doesnt get affected since you may not have keywords like cars GAI.
If you do - a better option rather than negating GA would be modify the match types of your targeted keywords. Use +GAI or in Phrase or exact matches...

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Negative keywords are not applied to characters in search queries. Keywords are treated as whole words.

For example, using GA as a negative keyword will not cause "legal" searches to be blocked.  It will cause "legal help in GA" searches to be blocked.

Make sense?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Karen,

Theresa's answer explains it all. Additionally I would add that it would be best to do a search term report BOTH in AdWords AND in Google Analytics (AdWords -> Search Query Report + SEO _> Query Report) .
Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’