1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keyword phrase where first word changes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With negative keywords is there a way I can block a phase where the first word is always changing...  example

[* nursing home]. The wild card (*) is always a first name of competitive businesses.

If this can be done, can I exempt one three-word phrase.. Example: [Smith Nursing Home]. This might be the name of the client business.

Thank you,

Joe

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Negative Keyword phrase where first word changes

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joe,

There are no "wildcards" in AdWords so you'll have to use the normal match types, but that should get you close to what you want.  In your example, all you might need is the phrase match negative "nursing home" and this would then block any search term including those words, so would block "smith nursing home".

Your problem might be that you yourself are using the term "nursing home" in your positive Keywords, in which case you will have to use exact matches to avoid blocking your own Keywords and in that case you will need to block them individually (i.e. [smith nursing home]).

Just as an aside, if these businesses are in the same region as yours, consider whether blocking their search terms is actually a good idea.  There's often business to be had my ensuring your own Ads appear alongside those of your competitors, though as always, you need to analyse the performance data.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joe,

There are no "wildcards" in AdWords so you'll have to use the normal match types, but that should get you close to what you want.  In your example, all you might need is the phrase match negative "nursing home" and this would then block any search term including those words, so would block "smith nursing home".

Your problem might be that you yourself are using the term "nursing home" in your positive Keywords, in which case you will have to use exact matches to avoid blocking your own Keywords and in that case you will need to block them individually (i.e. [smith nursing home]).

Just as an aside, if these businesses are in the same region as yours, consider whether blocking their search terms is actually a good idea.  There's often business to be had my ensuring your own Ads appear alongside those of your competitors, though as always, you need to analyse the performance data.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Regular expressions in keywords, both positive and negative, would be fantastic, but unfortunately this option is currently not available ...
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jon,

Thank you for your response. Very helpful as a work-around.

Joe