1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Excat Match Type

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it advisable to add a keyword's exact match type as Negative term in its own Phrase match type Ad Group?  

Has anyone tried this? 

For example- Keyword 'Digital Screen' is in 2  Ad Groups -  DG_Phrase Match &  DG_Exact match  under 1 Campaign Digital Screen -2015

I would like to see how many of them clicked my ad with the Search Term "Digital Screen" .

Is it possible for me to get this data by adding [Digital Screen] as Exact Match Negative under AdGroup 'DG_Phrase Match'?

At present when someone searches for the exact term "Digital Screen' all my ads of the Campaign  Digital Screen -2015' run for auction

Preeti

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Preeti Rao
September 2015

Re: Negative Excat Match Type

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Preeti Rao I know some people recommend this method of forcing AdWords to match to a particular Keyword but personally I don't advise doing so.  Google will automatically match a search term to the "best" Keyword option and that often means the cheapest, so forcing a match can easily result in unnecessary spend.

If you want to see how many people searched on the term "digital screen" you can do this without using a negative Exact match.  Select your phrase match Keyword then select Details... Search Terms... Selected from the menu.  Apply a filter on Match type and select "Exact" and you should see figures for roughly how many search terms were exactly "digital screen" and were matched to the Phrase Keyword.

I should say that unless there are big differences in CPC bid and/or Quality Score, it's likely that the majority of searches for "digital screen" alone will match to the Exact match Keyword as Google will typically match to the Keyword that's closest to the original search term.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Preeti Rao
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Preeti Rao I know some people recommend this method of forcing AdWords to match to a particular Keyword but personally I don't advise doing so.  Google will automatically match a search term to the "best" Keyword option and that often means the cheapest, so forcing a match can easily result in unnecessary spend.

If you want to see how many people searched on the term "digital screen" you can do this without using a negative Exact match.  Select your phrase match Keyword then select Details... Search Terms... Selected from the menu.  Apply a filter on Match type and select "Exact" and you should see figures for roughly how many search terms were exactly "digital screen" and were matched to the Phrase Keyword.

I should say that unless there are big differences in CPC bid and/or Quality Score, it's likely that the majority of searches for "digital screen" alone will match to the Exact match Keyword as Google will typically match to the Keyword that's closest to the original search term.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Jon! I really appreciate your reply.
You were right.. i did have a look at the Search Term Report & found out the the exact numbers.

Preeti