AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Exact Match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All

Quick question on Negative keywords.

I have a keyword:

web devleopment

I'm running this keyword in Broad match. So if any users type in:

- web devleopment in London

- web devleopment in Stains

- web devleopment in Essex

etc

The ad will show. 

However, I don't want the ad to show for just the words: web devleopment

as i'm finding that word alone has a low Convertion Rate. 

So. I've added the keyword [web devleopment] to my negative list.

So if that word is searched on it's own it wont show, but the other variations will show.

Is this the right way to do it?

As i'm now getting this message:

Your ad is not showing because of a negative keyword

How should I be doing this?

Thanks Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Negative Exact Match

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Spires,

The Keyword Diagnostic Tool may/will tell you that the "Keyword is not showing" because the Keyword Diagnostic Tool assumes exact match, it doesn't understand how to create other broad match keywords like the ones you have listed.

If you use the Ad Preview Tool, you should find that your ads will still run for 'web development London' etc (test other search queries besides 'web development')...and you should see a message of your 'Ad not showing' for the search term 'Web Development' as you have specified that you do not want to show ads for that term.

Make sense?  Let us know how this goes for you.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello again;

Read Neha's (a valued member of the Community) article on negative keywords. All the syntaxes are explained:

Negative Keywords

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Spires,

The Keyword Diagnostic Tool may/will tell you that the "Keyword is not showing" because the Keyword Diagnostic Tool assumes exact match, it doesn't understand how to create other broad match keywords like the ones you have listed.

If you use the Ad Preview Tool, you should find that your ads will still run for 'web development London' etc (test other search queries besides 'web development')...and you should see a message of your 'Ad not showing' for the search term 'Web Development' as you have specified that you do not want to show ads for that term.

Make sense?  Let us know how this goes for you.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom. 

Thats great, Clears that up nicley.

I've not used the tools to test yet, i'll that a go now.

Thanks for your advice