Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Broad vs Negative Phrase

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to know if I add a single word keyword as a negative, then how would the system treat that same keyword if it were added in Negative Phrase and again in Negative Broad. For example: if I add -cats, then how differently would the system trigger queries, than if I would have added -"cats". Are these two match types treated differently for a single word negative keyword or they are essentially the same? 

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative Broad vs Negative Phrase

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Soyel,

They will work as same.

Negative broad will block all the queries that contains cats.

Negative Phrase contain all the queries that contains "cats".

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Soyel
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

HI 

Negative Broad - cats will elemenate every keyword that has cats. 

Negative Phrase - Doesnt really apply in case of one word keyword this will work just like broad

Negative exact - For this it will only eleminate traffic for exact [cats] but not will show your ads for cats food 

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Soyel
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hello,

theniks has some great ideas there, and just to clarify:

- If you have the broad match negative keyword cat your ad will not show for the term for example 'persian cat information'

- If you have the phrase match negative keyword "persian cat" your ad will not show for the term 'persian cat information' but will show for 'cat information'

- If you have the exact match negative keyword [cat] your ad will not show for the term 'cat' but would show for the term 'persian cat information'

Hope that clarifies things a little!

A.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Soyel,

Let's assume "cats" is just an example and not necessarily your keywords for the sake of discussion. There is a difference between broad match and phrase match when there is only a single word. Broad match will extrapolate out to include similar terms and synonyms. Tiger is a type of cat, so it is conceivable that a search query including "Tiger" would be blocked by the negative broad match. Phrase match is a bit more restrictive and could include mis-spellings, but not usually expanded to synonyms.

If the search query is "tigers in India", the broad match negative (-cats) will likely block impressions, but the phrase match (-"cats") probably would not block impressions.

I hope this helps.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Pete,

You mean if we add cat as negative it will also block synonyms, similar terms?

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First Thanks every one for pitching in! Great insights ...will really help Smiley Happy

And, @ Neha and Pete, just got this info from the AW Help Center, regd how negatives work for variations and stemmings..

Your ads still might show on variations of the terms that you select as negative keywords. Your ads might still show on searches that contain only one of your negative keyword terms if your keyword terms are more than one word. Let's say you add the negative keyword "wine bottle." Your ad might still show for searches on "stemless wine glasses," "red wine," or "glass bottle." However, you ad wouldn't show for searches on "red wine bottle," "wine bottle opener," or "bottle opener for wine."

So to answer Neha's q, I don't think Negative Broad blocks synonyms or stemmings,

Thanks again.. !

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Thanks Soyel! I was thinking if something is going in Beta Smiley Happy

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

As of now negative terms do not also blog synonyms and/or similar terms.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

also try +cats 

we have found this to be effective