1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Ad Rank due to incorrect UTM parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Back in mid-August several ad groups within a campaign were mistakenly assigned the UTM parameters for another completely different campaign in the account. This was corrected ~30 days afterwards (mid-September). I noticed the issue due to sluggish performance (and low quality scores). I am attributing this to the incorrect landing page experience being used, which has all been corrected.

However, I am now another ~30 days removed from the correction (10/11 when I write this), and am seeing persistent messages at the keyword level related to "Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to low Ad Rank." 

Q--how long does it take for Google to recognize the new landing page and is there a manual process that I can follow to help Google see that this has been indeed corrected?? I can run the Keyword Diagnostic, and it seems to trigger something with Google for an individual keyword. However, I have thousands of potentially impacted keywords, and this would not be feasible for me to do for each/ever one. I also use the ad preview tool after I run a diagnostic but still see the same message that "your ad is not showing for the keyword [xyz] now due to a low ad rank." 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Negative Ad Rank due to incorrect UTM parameters

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Sergio M,

Does the content of your landing pages change based on UTM parameters?  Typically, UTM parameters are used for tracking purposes and would have no impact on the landing page quality at all.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’