4.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negaitve keyword confusion

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm a bit confused by neg KW match types.

I want my ad to show for 'painters & decorators'

I don't want it to show for 'painters' - as this could be confused for 'painters' that are artists.

So I am going to use [painters] as an exact m neg KW.

So am I correct in saying:

- that [painters] will only prevent my ad showing if someone searches exactly 'painters'?

- so if some searches 'painters & decorators' my ad will still show?

- or if someone searches 'artist painters' - my ad will also show for this?

Where as if I had the broad neg KW 'painters' - then any search phrase containing the word 'painters' will not show my ad?

On the same basis - I have read through this http://adwords.blogspot.co.uk/2007/11/adwords-optimization-tips-more-on.html - am I correct in saying that words with the green tick do show, and words with the red cross do not show?

I think I understand this correctly but I'm not certain - I need to be certain as getting it wrong could be disastrous!!! 

Any clarification much appreciated!  Thanks. Adam.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Negaitve keyword confusion

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adam,

You've got it correct. I would also add in that there may be variations of painters that you may also want to exclude. For instance if 'painter' is not very successful for you, you may want to exclude that as well.

Surprisingly, even thought that article is from 2007, yes it would appear that what you are seeing in that chart is correct too.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam C
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adam,

Tommy's answer is correct but I wanted to add a thought. When I search for "painters", albeit a very broad term, the majority - if not all- results are for home painters. You might want to consider giving it a shot. There are probably some good modified painting terms that might be beneficial, as well, such as "home painters", "interior painters", etc.

You're correct in your assumption of how negatives would work, though. [painters] will only exclude people that search exactly that, no less and no more. To exclude "artist painters", you would want to add that as a negative as well.

A good way to mine for negatives before you even launch your campaigns is by adding your positive keywords into the keyword planner and then take a look at what Google returns as suggestions. These are keywords that Google deems to be similar to what you are bidding on, so it's good to go ahead and negate anything that isn't relevant.

Last but not least, I would be careful about adding broad negatives with multiple words. I typically try to distill broad negatives down to one word. For instance, if I was selling cars, I would add 'Matchbox' as a broad negative (not "Matchbox cars") because any query with "Matchbox" in it would be irrelevant. Matchbox alone is enough to weed out those queries, without any additional terms in the negative.

Hope this helps - Good luck!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adam,

You've got it correct. I would also add in that there may be variations of painters that you may also want to exclude. For instance if 'painter' is not very successful for you, you may want to exclude that as well.

Surprisingly, even thought that article is from 2007, yes it would appear that what you are seeing in that chart is correct too.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam C
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adam,

Tommy's answer is correct but I wanted to add a thought. When I search for "painters", albeit a very broad term, the majority - if not all- results are for home painters. You might want to consider giving it a shot. There are probably some good modified painting terms that might be beneficial, as well, such as "home painters", "interior painters", etc.

You're correct in your assumption of how negatives would work, though. [painters] will only exclude people that search exactly that, no less and no more. To exclude "artist painters", you would want to add that as a negative as well.

A good way to mine for negatives before you even launch your campaigns is by adding your positive keywords into the keyword planner and then take a look at what Google returns as suggestions. These are keywords that Google deems to be similar to what you are bidding on, so it's good to go ahead and negate anything that isn't relevant.

Last but not least, I would be careful about adding broad negatives with multiple words. I typically try to distill broad negatives down to one word. For instance, if I was selling cars, I would add 'Matchbox' as a broad negative (not "Matchbox cars") because any query with "Matchbox" in it would be irrelevant. Matchbox alone is enough to weed out those queries, without any additional terms in the negative.

Hope this helps - Good luck!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for your replies - I understand.  I thought it wast best to ask before I block half my target audience!  Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adam C, it's good that you asked. On the other side, I actually make my negative keywords broad with multiple words and strangely google still refers the impressions and clicks. Corrected this and I hope to see some improvements too. Thanks for asking.