Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Need to Increase the amount I spend on CPA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everyone, 

I presently have a campaign that is based on CPA bidding. My target CPA is set to $50 and my daily budget for this campaign is $100. Recently, I have done a ton of negative match to eliminate poorly performing search terms. Since that point, my campaign hardly spends anything. I struggle to spend close to $20 a day and last week we only spent $62. I spoke to google reps asking how to increase my daily spend. Because it is CPA bidding, they told me the only way to would be to increase my target CPA (which I can't). I am just double checking, is there anyway to try and increase my spend while keeping it to CPA bidding? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need to Increase the amount I spend on CPA

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Michael,

It is possible that your campaign isn't spending due to negatives blocking actual traffic. Could you check if that's the case? What does the conversion data look like? Do you have sufficient conversions for CPA to work effectively, as $50 CPA is too high for a $100 budget?

Also, please note that a decent number of conversions are required for CPA to perform, as the system looks at past conversion data to optimize bids. If conversions aren't that good at the moment, I'd suggest switching to Auto or Manual bidding (also with eCPC) for a while, refine keywords & negatives, run the campaign to get conversions and then switch to CPA.

Let us know about the negatives, so we can troubleshoot further Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

After eliminating the unwanted traffic it's time to increase the relevant traffic. There are many ways to boost your traffic volume away from raising your bids, here are some of the most 3 efficient ways:-

1- Expand your keywords list, just make sure to include only relevant keywords to your business.

2- Use less restrictive match types such broad and modified broad match type.

3- Improve your CTR. Low CTR means few people click on your ad compared to the number of impressions. High CTR won't only increase clicks numbers, it will also improve you quality score, thus reduces your bids and improves your ad positions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,

I looked over and I do not believe it is a consequence of the negative matching. The negative match has been in placed for a few weeks now. The week of Dec 15 -21, we generated 8 conversions on $275.17 spent. It's just within the last week and a week and a half the spend has been low. It might be a consequence of the time of year. We target small and medium size businesses and most of those are closed due to the holiday season. We compared to last year, and the conversions are only slightly lower with a lot less in spend.

The CPA is based on a conversion history of 3 years with over 800 converted clicks.

I'm scared of switching to CPC bidding because we tried that recently with a new campaign, but we had to abandon that since it was not generating as many conversions as the CPA campaign.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Thanks for the info Michael Smiley Happy

Comparing last year's data is a good way though to check seasonality issues.

Opting out of CPA wouldn't be ideal, considering the campaign's age and conversion data. Speaking of increasing your spend, as Ahmed suggested; adding keywords is an option you can consider. However, if businesses are closed in this season, that might also not work as intended.

If there's a decreasing trend (in conversions) towards the end of year, may be it magnitude is more this time? I'm not sure if increasing CPA would work in this case, as the issue is about target audience than competition; but you can try doing it to see if that helps.

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar