AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Need help with match type for negative keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

My question is if I include a particular phrase in broad in negative keyword list will it show ads for other match type such as exact, phrase etc. on the same phrase or keyword?

For eg. if I include the phrase "education training" as negative keyword in broad match type will adwords still show ads if person searches "education training" as exact or phrase search.

If yes, will this stand true for vice versa such as including exact phrase as negative keyword and ad showing for broad, phrase match type etc.

Thanks in advance!

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need help with match type for negative keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Be careful with negative match types. If you include a broad negative 'education training' you will kill off a lot of keywords that have those terms. You can include negative keywords in different match types.

So for instance if you wanted to negate the term 'education training' but wanted to show for 'education training chicago' you would consider an exact match negative -[education training]. If you never wanted to see the terms education and training together for your account you could use a phrase match negative -"education training" this will prevent the ads from being served anytime the words 'education training' come together in a search query

More on negative keywords can be found here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/105671?hl=en

questions welcome.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Noushin,

Thanks you putting your query on Adwords CommunitySmiley Happy

If you include the phrase "education training" as negative keyword in broad match type.

Then adwords will not show the ads when someone searches the ads on education training.

Even when a user search on "education training institutes" then again your ads will not appear. As you have added " education training" as a negative, and it will prevents to show the ads when users searches a query that contains both education or training the term.

Please read the below tutorial how negative keywords works in adwords

http://www.eboostconsulting.com/negative-keywords

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I would not recommend tutorial sources outside the Adwords help center, or sources not sponsored by Google;

So, in addition to the link Kim listed,  also check this article, by one of our community members posted in  the user articles section

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Negative-Keywords-As-Important-as-Positive-Key...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello, Naushin.

Long story short, your ad will not show if the search term matches at least a negative keyword.

You can include as many "positive" keywords as you want, if there's a single negative that matches the search query, placed in the same ad group with another keyword that would normally trigger an impression, the ad will not show.

In your case, a search term such as education training would be blocked by any of these negative keywords: -education training, -"education training", -[education training]. If any of these negatives is present in an ad group, you can include all the positive variations such as education training, +education +training, "education training" and [education training] and so on (there are two more broad match variations), your ad will still not show. That's because an ad only shows when there's at least one keyword ranked high enough to trigger it and no negative keyword which might block the search query.

Hope I managed to make some sense Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.