AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Need clarity on Ad Customizer

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My scenario is that I have a feed with name ad_customizer which is mapped to campaign Campaign#1. Campaign#1 has two adGroups AdGroup#1 and AdGroup#2.
AdGroup#1 has positive keyword iphone and AdGroup#2 has keyword samsung galaxy.

The contents of feed are:- 

ad_customizer:-
product_name        product_discount         adgroup_targeting
iphone                      20                                 AdGroup#1
samsung galaxy       30                              --NOT GIVEN--

I have one ad each per adgroup which is exactly same. The headline of ad is "Buy {=ad_customizer.product_name} with {=ad_customizer.product_discount} % discount"

So ad1 will look like this :- Buy iphone with 20 % discount
and ad2 will look like this:- Buy samsung galaxy with 30 % discount

Now lets say user search for  
Case 1. keyword : iphone 
       Query: What is ad shown? Are  both the ads shown with equal probability or only iphone ad will be shown since feed for samsung galaxy is not mapped to AdGroup#1.

Case 2:- keyword : samsung galaxy
       Query:- Will any ad be shown or both the ad will be shown or only second ad be shown.

This question is to extension of caveat mentioned in the document

Thanks,
Kainesh
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Need clarity on Ad Customizer

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Kainesh,

You will need to have two ads at least in each adgroup. One ad with Customizers setup and one ad without customizer. However, you can write more than one ad with customizers in each adgroup.

If you still have questions, do not hesitate to post it here. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kainesh P,

Welcome to Advertiser Community!

To your first question -

When somebody searches for iphone, the ad from your first adgroup will be shown because in the second ad group you do not have that keyword at all.

It is important to note that customizers do not affect the core eligibility criteria of ads being triggered. Ads get triggered on the same set of criteria as in the case where there are no customizers. Hence, there is no probability that your ads from the second adgroup will be shown for iphone as the keyword. 

To your second question -

Ad from the second adgroup will be shown because of the same reason as stated above. 

Now when you talk about setting targets for the items in your feed, they are there for the sole purpose of deciding which customers to trigger and when, they do not affect your ads/keywords' eligibility in the auction. 

Also, to set targets at the adgroup level, you must include even campaign targets in your feed. If you do not set target for certain adgroup, like you have done for 'samsung' in your example, the target would be deemed to be at campaign level only. And hence, the customizer in question would be eligible to appear in all adgroups of the given campaign (if other conditions are met)

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan,

I got the triggering part on keyword. But still my query is unanswered. How many ads will be shown for case 1 and case 2? Is it 1 or 2? What if I dont specify campaign and adgroup targeting in feed?

Thanks,
Kainesh

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Kainesh,

Let me try explaining it a bit differently for you. 

How many ads will be shown for case 1 and case 2? Is it 1 or 2? What if I dont specify campaign and adgroup targeting in feed?

When somebody searches for a term and it makes your ad eligible to appear, your ad appears. Now be informed that, only one of your ads can appear for a user's search query. There can't be an instance where more than one ad from your campaign(s) will appear at the same time for a user's search query. Hence, there's no question that how many ads will appear for a search query, it will always be one (from one campaign type). 

Going back to your case 1, if somebody searches for iphone, your ad from the first adgroup will enter the auction because you do not have a similar keyword in your second adgroup. And if you win, your ads will show up with your customizer implemented in place. 

If somebody searches for 'samsung galaxy', your ad from the second adgroup would be eligible because you have that keyword in that adgroup. Now if you ask whether your customizer would be implemented in this case or not? The answer is Yes. I understand that you have not set up target for the second adgroup, but you still have your feed targeting entire campaign.  So yes, if your ad from the second adgroup becomes eligible to appear, your customizers as well be implemented. 

Does that help?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My question is, how many ads are there in AdGroup#1 and AdGroup#2 after replacing customizable parameters. Is it 1 or 2? Can you please call me at 9870292638.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Kainesh,

You will need to have two ads at least in each adgroup. One ad with Customizers setup and one ad without customizer. However, you can write more than one ad with customizers in each adgroup.

If you still have questions, do not hesitate to post it here. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha