2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Need clarification on ACE test setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to set up an ACE test and I'm a bit confused.  I want to compare two different ad groups within a campaign which contains several other ad groups.  So I only want the two ad groups in the test: one control and the other experimental.  All other ad groups should be outside of the experiment.  But the only options I have for settings are:

- Control and Experiment

- Control only

- Experiment only

- Paused 

- Deleted

I certainly don't want to pause or delete the other ad groups, so I marked all the ad groups I didn't want to test as Control and Experiment.  But of course now the test results are spread out across all these ad groups I don't care to test, and which are basically polluting my data. 

If I want to test two ad groups against each other, do I need to create a new campaign with only those two ad groups in them?  Otherwise, how do I isolate the test to just the adgroups I want to compare?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need clarification on ACE test setup

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

First I wouldn't recommend to test a whole ad-group but rather an individual  ad;

Follow the steps in this link that explains how to set the "experiment group" and the control group; ;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375383

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
As far as I see, you can achieve it only by moving your two adgroups to a separate campaign and start experimenting. It is always Control and/or Experiment only.

Thanks,
Balu.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's dive in the help pages a little.

If I am looking at Ad Groups in a campaign, the only control/experiment segment I can change are the Ad group bids. Therefore you cannot test 2 ad groups against each other at a 1 on 1 basis with one being the control and the other being the experiment. Even if you set a 50-50 , chances are the impressions will be different in numbers . 

Quoting from here the range of actions you can make with the experiment :

To experiment with these goals, here are some things you can test:

If using the GSN 

• New keywords
  • New ad text
  • New ad groups
  • Negative keywords at the ad group level
  • Most keyword match types
  • Ad group default bids, including max CPC
  • Max CPA if campaign is using Conversion Optimizer
  • Keyword insertion

If using the GDN

• Bids on managed placements
  • Additional placements
  • Additional keywords for contextually-targeted ad groups
  • New text ads or display ads
  • New ad groups
  • Ad group default bids, including max CPC and max CPM
  • Max CPA if campaign is using Conversion Optimizer
  • Remarketing options
  • Site exclusions

ace-ad-groups.png

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@ Adrian;

I do not  run experiments with a whole  "ad-group"  (but rather with  individual ads) - However;  reading the the documentation  - it is possible;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375383

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Dane C,

I think it is just as you are telling.
For testing adgroups in an experiment you only can see the results at campaign level. So only in a new campaign you could test it on a pure basis. It would be nice if there would be a status "outside the experiment" for adgroup level.

@Adrian,
Your wrote: Therefore you cannot test 2 ad groups against each other at a 1 on 1 basis with one being the control and the other being the experiment. Even if you set a 50-50 , chances are the impressions will be different in numbers.
=> I think you are confusing testing and outcome / testresult.

The experiment that is based on, that in a 50-50 split they participate in a the same amount of auctions. But you can imagine that a higher ad group CPC/CPA bid in an experiment causes more impressions and clicks. Because it is more off ten placed on the first page, in a higher position etc. But I think you must see that as an outcome of the experiment. It is caused by the difference you want to test. (In a not 50-50 split You only have to calculate the factor yourself in a spreadsheet to compare real numbers. The idea is the same.

And with testing other things on Ad-group level, like extra keywords, or other keywords in an ad-group, different impression, clicks etc would be an outcome / testresult too.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

In addition to @Elja G answer;

The split (5/50..20/80 etc...) is just to determine the size of a sampling. (The higher the impressions, the lower you could set the testing sample). However: no matter what the split ratio  is - The system would indicate a successful experiment,  only if  a  statistically significant difference (between test and control)  was found. (Marked by a  green arrow upwards or red arrow downwards).

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian, Moshe & Dane,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. It helps me further explore these topics. I initially started to just participate & see if I can answer couple of questions in Adwords community but these days I'm spending most of the time here learning all new stuffs. Smiley Happy

Regards,
Balu.