AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Need clarification on ACE test setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to set up an ACE test and I'm a bit confused.  I want to compare two different ad groups within a campaign which contains several other ad groups.  So I only want the two ad groups in the test: one control and the other experimental.  All other ad groups should be outside of the experiment.  But the only options I have for settings are:

- Control and Experiment

- Control only

- Experiment only

- Paused 

- Deleted

I certainly don't want to pause or delete the other ad groups, so I marked all the ad groups I didn't want to test as Control and Experiment.  But of course now the test results are spread out across all these ad groups I don't care to test, and which are basically polluting my data. 

If I want to test two ad groups against each other, do I need to create a new campaign with only those two ad groups in them?  Otherwise, how do I isolate the test to just the adgroups I want to compare?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need clarification on ACE test setup

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

First I wouldn't recommend to test a whole ad-group but rather an individual  ad;

Follow the steps in this link that explains how to set the "experiment group" and the control group; ;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375383

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
As far as I see, you can achieve it only by moving your two adgroups to a separate campaign and start experimenting. It is always Control and/or Experiment only.

Thanks,
Balu.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's dive in the help pages a little.

If I am looking at Ad Groups in a campaign, the only control/experiment segment I can change are the Ad group bids. Therefore you cannot test 2 ad groups against each other at a 1 on 1 basis with one being the control and the other being the experiment. Even if you set a 50-50 , chances are the impressions will be different in numbers . 

Quoting from here the range of actions you can make with the experiment :

To experiment with these goals, here are some things you can test:

If using the GSN 

• New keywords
  • New ad text
  • New ad groups
  • Negative keywords at the ad group level
  • Most keyword match types
  • Ad group default bids, including max CPC
  • Max CPA if campaign is using Conversion Optimizer
  • Keyword insertion

If using the GDN

• Bids on managed placements
  • Additional placements
  • Additional keywords for contextually-targeted ad groups
  • New text ads or display ads
  • New ad groups
  • Ad group default bids, including max CPC and max CPM
  • Max CPA if campaign is using Conversion Optimizer
  • Remarketing options
  • Site exclusions

ace-ad-groups.png

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@ Adrian;

I do not  run experiments with a whole  "ad-group"  (but rather with  individual ads) - However;  reading the the documentation  - it is possible;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375383

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Dane C,

I think it is just as you are telling.
For testing adgroups in an experiment you only can see the results at campaign level. So only in a new campaign you could test it on a pure basis. It would be nice if there would be a status "outside the experiment" for adgroup level.

@Adrian,
Your wrote: Therefore you cannot test 2 ad groups against each other at a 1 on 1 basis with one being the control and the other being the experiment. Even if you set a 50-50 , chances are the impressions will be different in numbers.
=> I think you are confusing testing and outcome / testresult.

The experiment that is based on, that in a 50-50 split they participate in a the same amount of auctions. But you can imagine that a higher ad group CPC/CPA bid in an experiment causes more impressions and clicks. Because it is more off ten placed on the first page, in a higher position etc. But I think you must see that as an outcome of the experiment. It is caused by the difference you want to test. (In a not 50-50 split You only have to calculate the factor yourself in a spreadsheet to compare real numbers. The idea is the same.

And with testing other things on Ad-group level, like extra keywords, or other keywords in an ad-group, different impression, clicks etc would be an outcome / testresult too.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

In addition to @Elja G answer;

The split (5/50..20/80 etc...) is just to determine the size of a sampling. (The higher the impressions, the lower you could set the testing sample). However: no matter what the split ratio  is - The system would indicate a successful experiment,  only if  a  statistically significant difference (between test and control)  was found. (Marked by a  green arrow upwards or red arrow downwards).

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian, Moshe & Dane,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. It helps me further explore these topics. I initially started to just participate & see if I can answer couple of questions in Adwords community but these days I'm spending most of the time here learning all new stuffs. Smiley Happy

Regards,
Balu.