Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Need advice on AdGroups structure

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Say I have a campaign for a local Auto Repair Shop. It has 10 adgroups for each service this auto shop performs (like oil change adgroup, transmission repair adgroup, etc. and each adgroup has ~20 related broad match keywords.

Because it's a broad match, campaign also has carefully selected negative KWs, so pretty much all the traffic is very targeted and I see almost no non-related user search queries.

Campaigns performs very decent with volume satisfactory enough, but I also want to investigate a possibility to increase amount of traffic.  So I identified most performing KWs, and my plan is to remove these KWs from their adgroups and create separate adgroups for each KWs (broad match again).

Will this change the amount of traffic in a long run? 

Thank you!

D

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dmitry P
September 2015

Re: Need advice on AdGroups structure

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Dmitry P Google has algorithms that determine which Keyword will match a search term when multiple matches are possible so if you have an Exact match in one Group and a Broad in another, and both could match a search term, typically the one with the closest match will win, though there are other considerations.  There's a help page that describes all the factors that are taken into account here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dmitry, honestly this question is superb (smile) and a lovely one (and a good one).

You said, you want to take out all performing KWs from each Adgroups and create a new Adgroup for them, and the question is will it change the traffic? 

To me i dont think it will change (be it increase or decrease) the traffic so far you are not optimizing, and altering the bid of the new and the old Adgroup. But if you want to increase the traffic, you can work on the metrics of the report of your ads by focusing your ads on the goals you want to achieve.

For whatever you want to achieve using Adwords, there are different goals you can focus on. 

In your case,which is you want to increase traffic, you can focus on: clicks, click through rate, keyword performance, search terms.

So if you still want me to explain how to focus on the bold written goals, you can reply me, am always on here. 

Once again Dmitry, i love this brilliant beautiful question. 

Cheers

David

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Dmitry,

The only influences on traffic are budget, targeting, Ad Rank (effectively CPC & Quality Score) and CTR.  Budget is a Campaign-level setting, so that's irrelevant in terms of Ad Groups.  Targeting occurs at both the Campaign (e.g. locations) and Ad Group (e.g. Keywords) level, but you're not actually changing the Keywords so again I'd say that's irrelevant in terms of changing Ad Group structure.

Ad Rank is going to affect traffic only if your new Ad Group allows the Keyword(s) to achieve a higher Quality Score and your current setup is losing Impression share through Ad Rank.  Even if you are losing impressions through rank, that could be solved within the same Ad Group by just increasing CPC.  So again, I don't think Ad Rank alone is a good reason to move to a new Group.

However, 20 Keywords sounds like quite a lot to me when your Groups are tightly focused on one service so it could be that you could improve CTR by moving your best performing Keywords to their own Group and then creating Ads that are much more tightly focused to these Keywords.  You are unlikely to get more impressions but of course the same number of impressions with a higher CTR means more clicks = more traffic.

If you move these high performers to a new Group (possibly even one Group per Keyword) I'd also experiment with tighter matches to see if CPCs could be reduced (this won't necessarily get you any more clicks, but it may reduce your costs).

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Jon!

Because my KWs are BM, I can see most frequent and best performing user queries as well. So question is, if say I create separate AdGroup for such a query, and KW will be exact match, how AdWords will treat this? Will it give preference to this new AdGroup with single exact match KW over the old AdGroup?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dmitry P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Dmitry P Google has algorithms that determine which Keyword will match a search term when multiple matches are possible so if you have an Exact match in one Group and a Broad in another, and both could match a search term, typically the one with the closest match will win, though there are other considerations.  There's a help page that describes all the factors that are taken into account here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Jon,

what I want to understand, will creating SKAGs out of most performing search terms increase volume, given that I don't plan to increase bids for that separate AdGroups?

D.