AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Need Help with App Installation Campaigns?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am running an adwords account with two campaigns of android and iPhone app installation ads. Our advertising app is free to download and niche of sports scoring. As we are unable to track the conversions of iPhone apps but can track the conversions of Android app. I am getting very high cost/conversion for android app. Please read the following to get more detail about the strategy i am running: -

Objective: - Getting maximum downloads while keeping cost/cover under $1.

Strategy: Created adgroups based on sports supported by app like EPL scores, Cricket Score, NBA, Rugby, Football, NFL, Tennis etc.

Bidding Strategy: - Automatic bidding with $60 max. cpc and 100% increment in mobile bids. I have also tried the manul bidding but got very high CPC of above $1 for the same keywords i am getting click under $.50. I also have budget constrait of $20/day. 

Campaign Type: - Search network only with App ads and mobile ads preference 

Ads Example: -

Install Tennis Score App
Watch Tennis Live Scores & Stats.
Best Sports Scoring App. Install!

Install Free Cricket App
Watch your Favorite Matches Scores.
Auto Score Updating. Download Now!

Landing page: - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blackcitrus.scorecube

keywords Example: -

free cricket app

free cricket apps

tennis apps

etc.

Currently, I am getting very high cost/conversion of above $2. I am optimizing the campaign with testing ads, max. cpc value, enabling and pausing high cost keywords. 

I am trying hard to configure the campaign under objective of downloads for $1/app. Kindly let me know what you will do in this situation so i can get some ideas of its improvement.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need Help with App Installation Campaigns?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi skopenheart

Well there are few things you can try. 1st i would like you to change your keyword matching matching options to exact match if you using broad match. 

Also for the android app instead of using keyword like "free cricket app" consider using like "Android free cricket app" which would be more narrow and themed for your device preference. It's better if you use two different adgroups for iOS and Android. 

Also check your search term report and see what kind of actual keywords triggered your ads. from there you may be able to get some new keywords as well as add some negative keywords for your campaign.

Apart from those you also can check what time your ads got more conversions and use custom ad scheduling for your campaign 

Hope this helps 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
@Nisal,

Thanks for your kind response. I already doing these things but doesn't getting the right cost of conversions.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi,

Well I'm afraid those are the optimization steps i can tell you to do on this matter. But being honest with my prior Adwords experience I think one conversion for 2$ in this kind of situation is normal. I know it's not the expected results Smiley Happy But the filed you advertising is very conman and most of the people using those keywords so CPC is fairly high.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Are you using the App / digital content ads?. Seems that these ones would be the perfect ones for your campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
i think in this situation you need to focus on ad copy more.

You need to let the search know they THEY ARE ABOUT TO START A DOWNLOAD IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE CLICK.

yes your CTR might drop a bit but it will ensure people who click on your ad are ready to download.

also you dont need high ad position for this type of ad, so try lowing your bid to maintain first page visibility BUT not top of page .

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jorge,

Yes, I am running the search network app installation ads. I am not running display ads because they didn't work.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
@boyang

I appreciate your advice. I have indulged the word download, install in every app ad text. I have a nice CTR but downloads are not much satisfactory.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Sandeep Display Network for App Installs at adwords not working fine.

I am also trying for my app for Local Deals in Pune https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mtetno.locaal

Will also try search network and let you know if it works.

Thanks

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This thread from early 2014 has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!