Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Need Help For VERY Large Account

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Everyone,

I have a VERY large Adwords account and I need help with the following.

Total number of Adgroups in the account are 110K.

1] I want to narrow it down to exactly eight PERFORMING ads in each Adgroup (4 Desktop and 4 Mobile) From those Adgroups which have more than eight Ads.

2] I want to pause all the extra NON PERFORMING ads from the each Adgroup without having a adverse effect on my first point.

3] Is there any way I can set a Filter on Adgroup level or Campaign level which can bifurcate those Adgroups which have more than 8 Ads in each Adgroups ?

4] Can this be done via Adwords script ?

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks,

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need Help For VERY Large Account

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Azeem,

First of all you are having 110K Ad Groups in an account that's huge, do you really require these many ad groups?

1] I want to narrow it down to exactly eight PERFORMING ads in each Adgroup (4 Desktop and 4 Mobile) From those Adgroups which have more than eight Ads - You can do that but for that you have download a report there is no direct way where you can identify for all ads for all the 110 K Ad Groups, this require some manual work.

2] I want to pause all the extra NON PERFORMING ads from the each Adgroup without having a adverse effect on my first point -If you pause your non-performing ads then I don't think there would be any adverse effect apart from losing some impressions that too if you are not using the similar keywords in other active ad groups.

3] Is there any way I can set a Filter on Adgroup level or Campaign level which can bifurcate those Adgroups which have more than 8 Ads in each Adgroups ? - No, way to filter ad group having ads more than 8. You have download the report from AdWords Editor and then use Pivot to Identify adgroups having ads more than 8.

4] Can this be done via Adwords script ? - No, I don't think so, it is possible.

Cheers,
Rupesh

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Azeem,

Did you try going through this reference which contains complete set of AdWords scripts which can be used as reference in the AdWords account: https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/examples/complete-scripts

If this doesn't help you, then you should go through the AdWords API section and register for that to make huge changes as per your requirement: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375503

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Azeem-cbm, AdWords Scripts can certainly do all you ask for from a coding point of view (it's straightforward to iterate through Ad Groups and count the number of Ads, pause those which do not meet certain criteria, etc.), however, with 110k Ad Groups you may run into issues with script timeouts.

Are these Ad Groups organised into more than one Campaign?  If so, how many?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Guys,

@Rupesh - Thanks for the inputs. Yes, we require this many Adgroups. Actually these adgroups are based on Permutations and Combinations to capture each and every single audience when they are looking for us. Hence the number of Adgroups are way too large. Although some of the Adgroups are not performing

@Pankaj - It seems that API can do all the work that i want but its paid i guess!

@Jon - Yes, these Adgroups are organized under more than 10 campaigns. Jon, how can i do this via Adwords Script any Ideas ? To me it looks like i am left with nothing but MANUAL work which i feel makes sense in my case in order to avoid mistakes via Adwords scripts in bulk.

Thanks,
Azeem Shaikh
Azeem Shaikh

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPC Tuneup
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Azeem, I can't step you through the entire process of creating the necessary scripts you'll need, all I can say is that it's possible.  For example, this snippet will return the number of Ads in a Group to the variable aGCount:

var aGCount = thisCampaign.ads()
.withCondition('Status = ENABLED')
.get()
.totalNumEntities();

Given the very large number of Ad Groups involved,  even working one Campaign at a time (you'd specify the Campaign in the script, run it, then change to the next Campaign and so on) I think you'll hit timeouts.  You may have to use multiple stages.

With that many Ad Groups I'd suspect there's probably a very large percentage that could be paused quite easily with a manual filter directly from the UI.  For example, if you've got a decent period of data (how long this will need to be will depend upon the metrics in your Account) and you have Ad Groups with a lot of conversions in that period and others with none at all, I'd suspect you could just pause all those without any conversions.

As I said, it's certainly possible to do all you're asking with scripts but the exact approach and scripts themselves can only be determined by looking at the Account and running tests.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Missed this thread! Smiley Tongue Anyways thanks Jon Smiley Happy
Azeem Shaikh