3.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

National Campaign vs Local Targetting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I am managing a campaign that is looking  to get leads for office equipment sales. Initially we had one Adwords campaign with a budget of £2,000 p/m targetting an area covering England and Scotland. This was performing ok - bringing in around 60 leads a month. We then decided to split up the geographical area and we ran two identical campaigns each with a budget of £1,000 p/m.
When we did this the total number of leads generated was way less than than 60 - even though - collectively - we were covering the same area with same amount of budget and using the same ad groups as before.
As a result we reverted back to the single campaign approach. Now a few months later - we have tried the same experiment again and we are seeing the same result - a big drop in leads generated. I am very puzzled. Why is this happening when, in effect, we are covering the same geographic area with same adverts and keywords and with the same budget - just split across two campaigns.

We are not hitting budget limits - so I don't understand the drop in conversions.

Can anyone explain this to me please?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: National Campaign vs Local Targetting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steved1671,

Welcome to the forum!

Before splitting your campaign, did you analyzed geographical report under dimension tab? Which location is cosuming most part of the budget or consuming equal budget? Which locations were bringing maximum number of conversions.

I personally prefer to look into geographical report before deciding on splitting budget & campaigns.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steved1671,

Welcome to the forum!

Before splitting your campaign, did you analyzed geographical report under dimension tab? Which location is cosuming most part of the budget or consuming equal budget? Which locations were bringing maximum number of conversions.

I personally prefer to look into geographical report before deciding on splitting budget & campaigns.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
How are you segmenting targeting?

Depending on how IP's are matched back to locations, you may be losing many of the IP's based on how Adwords is matching to your new, more specific settings.

Are you splitting for performance reasons? You may want to have the campaigns overlap, and use lower bids on your backup campaign. This way you can bid more effectively on the better performing keywords, while not losing out on the overall lead volume.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Steve.

The only way to make sure that the campaigns perform just as they did before (or pretty close) is to give 2000 to each, after which you can decrease the budget for the area which is not using all of it.

The explanation is / could be the following: one country uses up a lot more of the 2000 budget than the other one. As long as the budget is shared, each campaign can take the amount it needs and generate your leads. As soon as you split them, the country which was so far using much more than 1000 / month does not have enough budget, while the other country has more than it needs. Thing mom & puppy: they are well-fed when you give them shared food, but if you split it 50% - 50% the puppy will get much more than necessary while the mom will be underfed.

The temporary solution, as I said, is to allocate 2000 for each (or study which proportion was each country using so far and split the 2000 proportionally, not even).

The long term solution is this: http://adwords.blogspot.ca/2012/09/new-adwords-budget-option-shared-budgets_17.html. I don't see it in my accounts yet, but I assume it will soon be rolled out to all accounts.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Neha - and apologies for the very delayed reply. I didn't use the dimension tab I will investigate that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David - thanks and my apologies for this very belated response.

I hadn't considered overlapping the campiagns - I assumed that would cost me a lot more but I see the sense in your suggestion here thanks.

One thing I have been told since asking the question, is that Google will have made my existing account more effective over time by displaying better performing ads more frequently etc. The fact that the 2nd campaign was brand new may well have cost me, in terms of Google needing to start again with that campaign. I see the logic in this, although I pretty much replicated the old campaign settings, Ad Groups and keywords in the new campaign.

I must say though, that this month has recovered to almost the same level aof leads coming in across both campaigns now - so maybe that was the reason after all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks AdWiser - appreciate your suggestions. Apologies for delay in responding. Unfortuantely I couldn't double the budget in this case so not able to test your suggestion.

However - please to say that this month the number of leads overall has recovered back up to the pre split levels.