AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

My honeymoon with adwords did not last long aka How to improve account performance?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I should say I had a very intense love affair with adwords.  It took very little time to fall in love.  After less than an hour of setup it was working great.

My business is very focused.  I soon figured out the how to only get clicks from people who wanted to do business with me.  My best keyword (really three words) was perfect.  I was averaging between $200 and $300 a click.  Nobody was jealous or angry because they had been mislead by my ads.

Then adwords changed everything.

It changed the status of one of my ads to "rarely shown because of poor quality".

Of course google has a different definition of poor quality.  My original ad was perfect quailty.  I want to know if anyone else her was averaging more than $200 a click on any ads.  It was one of the best campaigns I know of. 

Of course the change of rating made my ad no longer be shown at the top of the results.  Adwords decided my ad was not good enough for that.  I should note, my ad was not replaced by other ads.  It was simply moved from the top of the list to the bottom.  My sales from the ad went to zero in one day.

I called adwords.  They suggested I change my ads.  They gave some suggestions.  When they gave them I was very concerned it would only confuse people.

That is basically what has happened.  Google is making more money off the clicks.  The only problem is I am not making near as much.  I am also now having to deal with the people that call me that then get mad because I am not who they think I am.

So basically I went from $200+ a click in the first week to probably not making enough to cover the per click price google is charging the second week.

If they cannot come up with a way to fix on the next phone call I guess I will give up.  Like I said short lived love affair.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My honeymoon with adwords did not last long.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I forgot to mention, during the first week of my ad I was getting an extremely high percentage of the possible business. Probably more than 90% of people using the internet to find someone to provide the service that I offer in my area were coming to me.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Misha; Welcome;

$200+ per click is high in every measurement.!

You need to keep in mind, that quality and relevancy to users,  are major parameters in Adwords. Google does not necessarily show  ads because  (someone)  paying a high price. Google seeks relevant ads and  added value of content  on a landing page.

My guess is that you have reached that high CPC (cost per click) because of low Quality Scores (QS). 

What are the QS of your keywords.?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Misha.

Let me try to understand: you were the only ad on the page, and shown on top, now you're still the only ad on the page, but are shown at the bottom of the search results, under the organic ones.

Is this the case?

Possible scenario: you're using broad match. Google gave you some time to prove the worth of your keyword(s) / ads performance, and it did not work quite well. It worked well for you, but not for Google.

Relevance, in such cases, means mostly CTR. Google does not care that you attracted 20 clicks a day and made 4k out of it as long as they had to show your ads 10.000 times for that. Ads that do not get clicks are not interesting for them.

If you're using broad match, look at a Search results report. Make use of negative keywords to prevent your ads from showing for irrelevant search terms, and use a narrower match for the terms that got you conversions and maybe a good website engagement.

If you'll manage to have your ad show less times, but for more relevant (i.e. click attracting) queries, your CTR will rise and so will your quality score. Maybe for a day or two after cleaning up your search terms you'll need to bid a bit higher.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Good eve.Quoting from your statement Sir," I am also now having to deal with the people that call me that then get mad because I am not who they think I am".

In this scenario,Did Google and the customers have the same perception towards your ads? If the users find your business irrelevant then there must a be a missing connection between your ads and your keywords?

Your Case: A sudden movement from top to bottom caused unprofitable traffic

Competition Analysis: Since you have 0 competition in the sponsored links, you are indirectly competing with  the organic listings

Does this bottom ranking prevailing on all of your keywords?

Your best performing keyword (three words) , can you give us a clue if that exactly represents your products or services?

More Power,
Loraine

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Misha,

I hate when Google only serves ads at the bottom of the page. They are completely hidden imo and they do not perform well. I have a client who is in the same boat. However their clicks cost them approx 2.00 not 200.00! Smiley Wink

Have you tried to increase your bids to increase your ad rank? I am not sure that will work, part of this bottom of page serving as I understand it is the way that Google wants search results pages to visually appear.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Misha,

You already received good ideas from great people above!! 

I just want to say here that $200 is too high. And it seems something is really wrong with your campaigns. Would you care to share some more info about your campaign such as which industry you deals in? How is your campaign structured? Location Targeting? Keyword Match types? Network? What is Impression Share? How about QS? CTR? etc.. 

I beleive with some more infomation we would be able to bring good suggestions & then you can also save your relationship with Adwords Smiley Happy 

Many SEM Professionals love Adwords so competition is very high! Woman Tongue

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Ladies, am I the only one to understand that Misha was making 200 / click (visit), not paying 200 / click?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Calin,

There are KW that cost $200.00 per click - believe it or not - they are rare but out there. Medical lawsuit related keywords can be especially expensive.

Misha - can you confirm for us? $200.00 average cost per click or is that an average cost per acquisition?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Kim, I do believe there are, I just (mis?)understood that Misha was making 200 per click.