AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

My experience with conversion optimizer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My experience with conversion optimizer.

Result: it doesn't work for me!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ed E
September 2015

Re: My experience with conversion optimizer

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ed,

Please note that Conversion Optimizer is an Adwords tool which normally works depending upon how your account has behaved in the past in terms of conversions. It might work for you at some point and it might not work at some other point. Also there are some external factors which have to be taken into consideration while implementing conversion optimizer. This could be your competitor's ads and the competitors increasing their bidding strategies which could result in higher CPA sometime.

Giving ample of time to some tool is surely recommended so that the conversion optimizer starts behaving optimally well for your campaigns.

As always, this is only a tool and if you feel like it's not working for you, then you can simply revert back and use other bidding methodologies to optimize your account.

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input. FYI, Last 7 days (no conversion optimizer) - 17 conversions at 21.54 GBP (more than double the conversions that I was getting with the conversion optimizer, at a lower CPA). I'm more convinced than ever that the conversion optimizer does not work for me... actually, I'd be very curious to take a look at campaigns where it DOES work.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Rather than using conversion optimizer, I prefer "Enhance bidding" and ads rotation set to "optimize for conversion" and optimize manually. these works better than conversion optimizer for me.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ed,

Please note that Conversion Optimizer is an Adwords tool which normally works depending upon how your account has behaved in the past in terms of conversions. It might work for you at some point and it might not work at some other point. Also there are some external factors which have to be taken into consideration while implementing conversion optimizer. This could be your competitor's ads and the competitors increasing their bidding strategies which could result in higher CPA sometime.

Giving ample of time to some tool is surely recommended so that the conversion optimizer starts behaving optimally well for your campaigns.

As always, this is only a tool and if you feel like it's not working for you, then you can simply revert back and use other bidding methodologies to optimize your account.

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input. FYI, Last 7 days (no conversion optimizer) - 17 conversions at 21.54 GBP (more than double the conversions that I was getting with the conversion optimizer, at a lower CPA). I'm more convinced than ever that the conversion optimizer does not work for me... actually, I'd be very curious to take a look at campaigns where it DOES work.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Ed, I have to admit I've never had Conversion optimisation work for me on any client Account and as a result I don't even try it any more, I always "optimise" manually and get much better results, as you seem to be finding as well.

That said, I understand that Conversion optimisation works better the more frequent and numerous your conversions.  So if you typically get fewer than 10 conversions per day it won't work as well as if you get 100 per day, and so on.  Mind you, I think I'd still run it manually...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
it never ever worked for me moreover it reduced my conversion drastically even i have stopped using this

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Jon, is this still your experience in 2016? I have never tried it, based on feedback from other members and because my accounts do so well with manual bidding.

I have one campaign that is getting around 100 conversions a day and I'm tempted to give it a go. But I'm also a little dubious when everything I read, tends to point towards that being a bad idea.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Paul,
I would imagine that Google is always improving these things. Why NOT give it a go, but be prepared for worse results and set up a trigger to decide when to set it back. That would be my 2 cents ;->
My current campaigns are too small to get useful results, but they are getting bigger, and I would be very interested in your results if you try the conversion optimizer.

Looking forward to hearing about your results!

Thanks,
Ed

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That's a good perspective Ed. I imagine curiosity would get the better of me anyway and I'd have to see what Google can do.

I imagine that this isn't going to be a set and leave type system. Even if it works initially, I imagine at times I'm going to have to take it out of conversion optimiser and reconfigure.

I'll keep you updated if I do indeed take the plunge.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.