AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

My competition does not advertise. How can my site prosper?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Most of my competition for my site only give information, apart from the odd adsense box. How can I have any competition if none of them put up ads or work to sell something? They are altruistic in assisting the writing community of their "area." They mention authors and their books, but there is no attempt to sell the book; the author must sell it themselves, going elsewhere.A few even state they are not a commercial site. How can I compete with them, or get a reading on my site? I am trying to make my site profitable, with clickbank, adsense, amazon, cj ads, etc. I feel quite alone in my market.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My competition does not advertise. How can my site prosper?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Audrey, welcome to the Community.

I'm not sure I understand your actual question, can you try and reword it?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Answer to Answer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Coban,

Thank you for trying to answer my question. I will try to explain further. I am a writer, but have several writing sites. I have one in particular, on Historical writing, books, writers, etc., also trying to keep up to date by offering current subjects. Not using ads, I put up Adsense,clickbank, services, etc.

My "competitors" serve the writing community, by giving "tons" of historical information. They do not advertise, and are blatantly more elitist, yet they have a tremendous following.

I want to use my site in a more commercial way, blatantly, if I must, by putting up the same type of information because I write in that same historical period.

I suppose I am answering my own question. Sorry to be so vague. I know I must use current events related to historical stuff, and offer such as travel information, etc. My site has recently had technical problems, but it is getting fixed. http://www.regencyhistory.com

Reply to Cobnut

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Cobnut,

Thanks for replying. I sent a renewal question to community lounge. Sorry I spelled your name wrong

Audrey M

Re: Reply to Cobnut

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi Audrey,

You can actually reply on the same thread to keep it going. I've moved your other threads over to this one to keep it together.

@Jon_Gritton looks like Audrey answered your question in one of her responses.

Re: My competition does not advertise. How can my site prosper?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Audrey, if you're looking to drive traffic to your site you may be able to use AdWords to do this but I think it'll be tough.

For a start, although you may be able to make some money through AdSense, ClickBank, etc. you're not actually permitted to use AdWords advertising specifically to drive traffic towards these services - a process known as arbitrage.  You might therefore be looking at your advertising as being a "loss leader", i.e. a process which while it runs actually costs you money overall.

What do you think would be the most likely way in which people would look for the information you'd provide on your site?  Do you think they'd search for it on Google, or do you think they'd click on Ads they saw on other websites?  This will help define how you set up any advertising you might try...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits