AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

My campaigns are performing worse with Sitelinks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I added sitelinks to all of my campaigns, as Google says that Sitelinks enhances the performance of campaigns and ads. However, CPA has increased and Click Conversion Rate decreased.

What's wrong?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My campaigns are performing worse with Sitelinks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Rana

I suggest that you look for other reasons as well for this, because as per my views if in case sitelinks don't have help you to improve your performance then they also don't leads to poor performance of the campaigns.

My views!

Abhishek

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Try to turn off sitelinks. I think there is no correlation of site links with CPA or Conversion.
Here is most probable scenario: you get more clicks which are not good quality (they don`t convert) and because of that you get higher CPA and higher conversion cost.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Rana,

While I largely agree with Abhishek's comments, there is one way in which adding sitelinks could adversely affect performance, though it would require a special set of circumstances.  Without sitelinks, your Ad can have only one landing page - your Destination URL for the Ad.  When you add Sitelinks, you're adding up to six additional, different landing pages.  IF your sitelinks appear attractive to your viewers, but their landing pages are not optimal - poor speed, irrelevant content, poor navigation, etc. - it's possible that your overall performance could go down.

I have to say this is not something I've seen in any of my Accounts - in all cases Sitelinks gave a positive performance increase - but it would be worth thoroughly checking the quality and content of your sitelink landing pages to ensure they offer a good user experience.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Rana,

I completely agree with Abhishek on this and Jon has given all us a very possible scenario where your Sitelinks could hurt you. You should do thorough check of all your sitelinks and their landing pages and see if all of them are functioning properly.

Also, I would like to say that you need to be sure that the messaging that you use in your sitelinks and the product/service you are selling on your landing page match. If your ad messaging is even a little off with respect to the description of your product or page or if you are not using the right CTA's, it can lead to bad user behavior and the users will just bounce off your page.

Why don't you see the user behavior for these pages on GA and try and understand what exactly is happening when people land on your page. It may help you make changes to your landing page or ad messaging moving ahead.

Drazen too is right in his possible scenario, where you are attracting more clicks due to your sitelinks but your conversions have not gone up.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Rana,

There's no doubt that Sitelinks considerably enhance the performance of campaigns and ads, but to make them work best and to the advertising goal, one needs to apply them strategically. 

It works wonder when you keep sitelinks tied to your advertising goals.

For instance, if I am advertising a local bakery shop, I may use sitelinks for the pages like 'store hours', 'how to order online', 'bulk orders', 'contact us' and so on... You would notice that none of the pages discussed above will deviate my advertising goal. But If I add sitelinks like - about us, our vision, our blog, 'eula' etc. I might be making people go astray. 

Secondly, if you are using dedicated landing pages for campaigns and you are not an ecommerce business, make sure your landing page is accessible prominently from all sitelinks pages. If not, you are opening the wrong doors which do not lead to the room where you want your visitors to come in. 

If your landing pages do not have navigation to inner pages and as you do want your visitors to go anywhere else, you should do without sitelinks. 

Having said that, my suggestions to you would be -

• Make a selection of sitelinks that closely relate to your campaign goals
  • Test your sitelinks with a few selected ad groups
  • Once you are sure they are performing better, consider using for others
  • Take your sitelinks as individual landing pages and optimize them accordingly

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Rana,

Can you give us an example of the text you are using in your sitelinks vs your ad text? Google only shows sitelinks if they appear to be relevant, so they should be enhancing your campaign performance as others have stated.

As Jon and Ratan mentioned, if the performance decrease is truly attributed to sitelinks - it could be that the conversion path isn't optimal through the additional landing pages that you are using. I would suggest doing some conversion rate optimization on those pages to highlight and shorten the path to conversion.

That said, when it comes to sitelinks I tend to find (with some exceptions) that the whole is better than the sum of its parts. What I mean is that most clicks still tend to be on the ad copy, not a sitelink. If this is the case, then your sitelink landing pages aren't the problem. I suggest taking a look at where your clicks are coming through (sitelink or ad).  You can do this on the sitelink tab by using the segment feature to segment by click type.  This will show you how many times each sitelink was clicked vs how many times the ad was clicked when that sitelink was shown. If it is a sitelink problem, it will help you narrow down which sitelink is the problem.

If most of your clicks are on the ad copy, then it could be that:

1. Sitelinks aren't the real problem
  2. Something in your sitelink copy is over-promising (Example - if you use "Free Shipping" then shipping should always be free unless you include the caveat in your text. Otherwise expectations aren't being managed appropriately)

Hope this helps!