AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

My account has been poorly managed. Should I open a new account?

[ Edited ]
H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I have had an adwords account for a few years now and for most of that time it has been poorly managed. I am now launching a new website with a new domain name and I was wondering if it would be better to just start new campaigns in my old account or start a completely new account.

The reason I ask is because I have read that google takes historical account quality score into account when working out current keyword quality scores.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

EDIT: I should also mention that the old site is being taken offline and I will be using a 301 redirect to the new site. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My account has been poorly managed. Should I open a new account?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi H,

The 301 direct is more relevant when it comes to SEO but you shouldnt send any PPC traffic to the old URL because they might not approve your ads because of the redirect.

If you want to start fresh & new, especially with old data in there with low quality scores then starting with a new account wouldnt be a horrible idea.  Also taking the historical data from the previous account,  audit it old  to see what worked, what didnt work, the keyword details report & examine the keyword performance, ad copy etc and apply that knowledge to the new account.

Google does take all of that historical data into account and plus there has been so many changes to Enhanced campaigns and bidding options, it might be good to start fresh with enhanced than updating legacy campaigns.  But, in my opinion, I would start fresh after analyzing the old account and apply what works from the old account to the new one.

Hope this helps!

PPCSophie

H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I do have a lot of data in the old account so would definitely be using that to set up the new account. Thanks for the advice Sophie!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Its my pleasure H. if you have any more questions please post and I or any of the knowledgeable community members are more than happy to help!

Have a great weekend!
PPCSophie

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi ;

What do you mean by poorly manged?

Cant you improve gradually the QS?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi H, I personally wouldn't recommend setting up a new Account.  Although it's true that historical performance is a factor in Quality Score, it's only one of many and far from the most important.  One of the most important is current CTR so it's quite possible that you could see some real improvements in QS almost immediately with a better approach.

As Sophie has said, retaining the "old" Account also allows you to refer to previous Campaigns, Ad Copy, Keywords, etc.  Whenever I take over a client Account I always leave any currently running Campaigns "as is" and start afresh.  Not only does this mean it's very clear to see my work and for an unhappy client (if such a thing were to exist!) to go back to the previous setup, but it also allows a very clear comparison between what went before and what's being done now.  Although you're not in exactly the same position, I'd say the same sort of considerations apply here as well.

The only real reason for creating a new Account would be to delete or hide previous history and in my opinion it's nowhere near enough of a reason to do so.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello H,

I believe that you have enough reason to open a new account.  It is just my preference, especially dealing with a brand new site, with different URL's.  Historical data is VERY important, but if its not "sound" data, I rather like to start new.  When I say sound data, I mean, I can't exactly make a conclusive decision about historical data if the account isn't running optimized to begin with.  It certainly helps to know what NOT to do but I think the real work starts when everything optimized to best practices & expected CPA's. 

If it was the same SITE then I would agree with Cobnut & Moshe but I have seen, from my experience, especially recently, the benefit of a fresh account using historical data from another account. I prevents a lot of data from getting confused & mixed up.   If it was the same site, I would say optimize but to mix old data from a total different web site then use that same data & merge it for a totally new site, even if it is the same product wouldn't be something I would do, because I like separate, clean, stand alone data.  I would like to know how the new site performs on its own, without another sites old data interfering or determining how it should perform especially in the beginning & especially because Google does take historical data into consideration.  And it is virtually impossible to delete an old campaign in your account so it will always be there.

But its just a personal preference, I recently did this, my company launched a new site for the same product just different keywords and landing pages.  I used all the things I learned from the old account from the data and applied it to the new account and it launched really well! 

Way better quality scores, better CTR's, my CPA went down dramatically,, my conversion rate doubled etc.  I believe that because Google wasn't processing the changes rather it was putting a really great optimized campaign from the beginning (negative keywords, great ad copy, bid adjusted) into the auction, it just kept that momentum up, rather than a slow incremental climb when processing old data with new data.  BUT thats just my opinion and a unique situation because generally most PPC wont do this and I was one of them and still strongly believe to optimize but in some cases, its worth it for me to learn from an old account and start off brand new.

My humble opinion.

PPCSophie