AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

My Display ads don't get impressions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello fellow adnerds Smiley Happy

I have a company selling sustainable jackets and I created some Display Network Ads with pictures.
For some reason my ads don't get any impressions. (Literally 0) They were approved like 4 hours ago and still not a single impression.

I even set CPC to 1 Euro, still no impressions. Campain Budget is 15 Euro/day.

This is how I set the Targeting:

Topics: Fashion Designers & Collections, WOmen's Clothing

Interests and Remarketing: Green Living Enthusiasts, Fashionistas

Demographics: 18-24, 25-34, Female, Not a parent

I didn't set any keywords.

(And I set Location=Germany, Devices=Desktop-Only, Language=German in Settings.)

On the right it says with this targeting I'd have possible weekly available impressions
5M - 10M Impressions.

Why aren't my ads shown? What can I do?

Thank you in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I've had this problem before with very similar targeting methods and they way my Google rep told me to fix it was to remove the "Interests and Remarketing" targeting while using the other targeting methods. He said that "Interests and Remarketing" should be used by itself in a separate adgroup or campaign, and not combined with other targeting methods. This fixed the problem for me, so give it a try and let us know how it goes. 

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
  • Are you utilizing the most common ad sizes? Check out this Google Guide: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7031480?hl=en&ref_topic=3121943
  • Try out Responsive Ads. Instructions from Google: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7005917?hl=en. These will allow you to fit into every ad size possible!
  • Why are you targeting desktop only in a mobile-first world? I can understand this if your website has a bad mobile experience, but I would open up to tablets since they are practically just a desktop/laptop without a keyboard in landscape view.
  •  Why are you only targeting people who aren't parents? I feel like that is an unnecessary limitation on your audience considering that Google isn't able to determine this stat for all of it's users, most of your audience might be falling into the Unknown category, so I would open that up.
  •  Are you using the Target & Bid feature for all of your targeting? If so you are only targeting people who meet all the criteria you have listed! Try the Bid-Only feature for either some of your Interests or Topics.
  • Make sure your don't have a negative keyword list that you are unaware of blocking contextual traffic in your Display Campaign.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I agree with @Dean E. Remarketing should be set as separate campaign and you are targeting too narrow

I wrote in the past an article on targeting method on Display

Display Network - How many Targeting Methods to choose?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: My Display ads don't get impressions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. My Ads are responsive HTML 5 Ads.

Overnight suddenly I got 2500 impressions and one click. So it seems like google just took some time to show my ads. 

I set it to desktop only because I just know from myself - I never bought anything on a phone. I now included tablets also.

Considering I got just one click out of 2500 impressions, I should probably narrow my ads down even more - what do you think?

EDIT: since 4 hours ago I didn't get any new impressions again. Isn't that weird? (It's daytime in Germany right now)