AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

My Clicks Have Halved Not Sure Why

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Community Experts!

Thank you to you for your help with my Adwords account so far.  I have gone to Manual Bidding and changed my ads so there is more of a call to action and each ad links through to the relevant page.

I have also upped my budget... but I am worried as I am getting less clicks..

On manual bidding I have set the amount googleadwords recommends for each 'keyword' so I have more chance my ad appears on the first page.  But less people clicking tham when I had automatic bidding - any ideas.. all help greatly received!

Thanks

Nicola

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: My Clicks Have Halved Not Sure Why

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Nicola

Always keep in mind, that it is better to get 10 clicks to your website, from users who are genuinely interested in the service or product you are offering, than to get 10,000 who are not.

You say that "changed my ads so there is more of a call to action and each ad links through to the relevant page" - perhaps tweaking you call to action etc. has attracted a more interested and more relevant audience but decreased the volume.

It would be worth looking at your Analytics and numbers such as bounce rates.

It would also be worthwhile setting up conversion tracking - you can find out about this feature here. Conversion Tracking is a free tool / feature, offered by google that shows what happens after a customer clicks on your Google Adwords ad(s) -- depending on what your call to action is e.g. whether they purchased your product, signed up for your newsletter, or filled out a form to receive more information etc. etc.

Anyway, hope this helps in some way.

Dave

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Nicola, 

That's a good question and there are lots of things that you could look at to try and address this. You've already had a couple of great suggestions, but I would also add that it might be useful to look up your Lost Impression Share reports. This will let you know whether you are losing impression share due to ad rank or budget, which will then let you see where you need to focus your efforts. This link explains this in a little more detail. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Nicola

Always keep in mind, that it is better to get 10 clicks to your website, from users who are genuinely interested in the service or product you are offering, than to get 10,000 who are not.

You say that "changed my ads so there is more of a call to action and each ad links through to the relevant page" - perhaps tweaking you call to action etc. has attracted a more interested and more relevant audience but decreased the volume.

It would be worth looking at your Analytics and numbers such as bounce rates.

It would also be worthwhile setting up conversion tracking - you can find out about this feature here. Conversion Tracking is a free tool / feature, offered by google that shows what happens after a customer clicks on your Google Adwords ad(s) -- depending on what your call to action is e.g. whether they purchased your product, signed up for your newsletter, or filled out a form to receive more information etc. etc.

Anyway, hope this helps in some way.

Dave

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Nicola, 

That's a good question and there are lots of things that you could look at to try and address this. You've already had a couple of great suggestions, but I would also add that it might be useful to look up your Lost Impression Share reports. This will let you know whether you are losing impression share due to ad rank or budget, which will then let you see where you need to focus your efforts. This link explains this in a little more detail. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Nicola,

Do you know what you were paying on average with automatic bidding versus what you are paying now? it's possible that your average ad position has dropped if you are bidding less on keywords now. I would do a bit of analysis on average ad position before and after the switch from automatic to manual bidding.

Thanks,

BI

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello!  Thank you all for replying to my questions.

I have set up the conversion tracking.

The Budget IS I cannot find to click add.,. will have some hunting about... but when I go in under 'status' on my ad group page lots are under the first page, should I manually increase all these bids to the recommended monies.  I have paused some ads that are not relevant... still a bit worried I should go back to automatic bidding... will have a play today increasing bids and see what happens this week.

Thank you for all your help

Nicola