AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple back links to website with the same anchor text. Not good?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I understand it's not a good idea to pay for back links and this is certainly something I would not intentionally do.  I do however have a few website listings. All of these have pages with a write up about my business and a link to my website. As my customers are all tourists I decided to place a banner ad on an accommodation booking site. I have since discovered there are 397 external links to my website from this domain.  They have the same banner ads on multiple pages all with the same anchor text "nz accommodation accommodation new zealand accommodation nz new zealand accommodation apartments". The anchor text seems to be for their benefit rather than mine.  My industry hires baby equipment so the anchor text is a bit odd.  The same anchor text has been used for all the banner ads placed by other businesses too.

A while ago I paid to have SEO analysis on my website. I was given a report that compared my site to my competitor. It was noted that my competitor had a lot of back links from this particular domain. I was advised to list with this website too so that I would at least match the back links my competitor was getting. I'm now left wondering whether this was bad advice?

I conducted an anchor text over optimization report. "nz accommodation accommodation new zealand accommodation nz new zealand accommodation apartments" was red flagged. It had a link percentage of 57% and mozRank percentage of 71.54%.

So do I need to worry about these back links? I would have thought the anchor text would be more damaging to their own website as it's clearly keyword stuffing. As the anchor text they have used is not something my potential customers would use as a search term does this mean it won't damage my website?

I advertised with this website because a family with young children may want to hire baby equipment.  It was not my intention to buy back links.

Please can someone let me know if I should keep or remove these banner ads?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple back links to website with the same anchor text. Not good

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Lucy W;

Well... If I understand you correctly, you are promoting your business  through a local  accomandrtion directory site. 

I can't comment since the online  reputation of this site is unknown.

What I would recommend though is to test to promote the business on AdWords - which is a classic platform to promote businesses in your vertical (travel and tourism).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Lucy - this is an SEO question and i am happy to hep you out (BTW. i am NZ based also)
your question is multi part so i will say Para1: then answer the point from paragraph1 one etc.

Para1: Yes that is weird anchor text and as the advertiser paying them you should tell them what you would like as the anchor text for the link. They may be using the advice from a bad SEO themselves - soooo many out there.

Para2: That is ridiculous advice - if that audit for SEO was done 5+ years ago then maybe ok, lots of bad links and quantity over quality was actually unfortunately effective - BUT if it was especially in the last 2-3 years that is toxic advice.

Para3: Yes it would be flagged refer to Para1.

Para4: I recommend our clients to err on the side of caution, referring to Para1: go to them tell them you pay money for the add and you want reasonable relevant anchor text. Otherwise there are so many places to advertise go find somewhere else - after analysing your Google Analytics to see if this is in fact a valuable referral source - don't cut your nose off to spite you face.

Para5: the road to Google penalties is paved with good intentions

Para6: hopefully the answer I have given does this.

Good Luck.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you. Yes I'm already doing Adwords. I think it's the best advertising I'm doing to be honest.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you. I have contacted the directory listing and requested they ad rel="nofollow" attribute. At least I won't get pinged for paying for links. They have replied and thanked me for bringing it to their attention. They have contacted their SEO guys about it.

Interesting how a site can look good but have terrible SEO. They have lots of accommodation providers listed and some big corporate companies have placed banner ads. Personally I haven't seen much traffic come from them. If I search "holiday homes queenstown" they come up on page 3. I had to try a lot of different search terms before I could even find them. I only know about them because my SEO guys recommended I list with them because of the backlink thing.

I'm beginning to feel like I know a lot more about SEO than the so called professionals! That's why I prefer to do my own reading and use forums. After I posted this I realised I should have posted on Webmaster Product Forum. So I posted there too. Whilst you can get mixed advice there is usually a pattern that points in a clear direction. It's catch 22 really. Until you know a bit about SEO it's hard to know if the people you get advice from know what they're doing! Even if you ask others for referrals often these people would be clueless as to how good their SEO's really were. You may as well go down to the local bookies and place a blind bet!

My husband thinks I should sell my business and get into SEO instead. Lol!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
@Lucy W yes you have hit it on the head. We have been doing SEO for years and it is so frustrating that so many companies have absolutely no idea what they are doing. They use old school methods of SEO or they just ignore technical SEO completely and say ' as long as you write good content blah blah' Have to say it can be fairly hard yakka being an SEO firm sometimes for that very reason it is very hard for clients to know who to choose and who to believe - there is no Google SEO Partner badge Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@David C I contacted the website and pointed out my concerns. They contacted their SEO people who replied with this:

"This is to inform you that, your website not being paralysed because we follow all Google guidelines to create high quality back links for your website, please see attached snapshot and your website is safe.

In other hand, alt tag use only for crawl images, because Google does not crawl any images. So it introduces all images to Google spider. We use proper alt tag and title tag with each image. Alt tag not plays any critical to be penalized website. So please don’t worry about it."

Their SEO guys used Sandbox to check their site which says it's OK. I never implied their site was being paralysed though. I just thought having the same alt tag for every image wasn't good practice. There are 397 banner ad links to my website. So with all the other banner ads and images from the accommodation listings they must have thousands of links with the same alt tag. Also they haven't made any mention about the links being "follow" instead of "nofollow"? Have I got it wrong? Perhaps I shouldn't be concerned?

The owner of the website is now asking me to comment on the response he got from his SEO guys.

Is it OK to post the name of the website I'm talking about? I'm not sure about the ethics on this?

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Lucy W@David C;

This thread has shifted to  a sole  SEO discussion,   beyond the scope of this community, which is solely dedicated  to AdWords.

The adequate place to continue this discussion and to get input/ feedbacks from other SEO experts  specializing in back links, would be the "webmaster central " help forum.

Thank you!

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Fair enough. Thank you :-)

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@MosheTLV - true it has Smiley Happy

@Lucy W <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

You can find me here: <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Please note that it is counter to the guidelines to ask for or offer help outside the Community itself. Additionally, please also note that the guidelines ask that you do not use your use your signature for self-promotion. 

Thank you for your understanding.