AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Remarketing tags, 20+ Adwords accounts, 1 page, same website.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All, 

We run international campaigns to more than 20 countries. We are considering establishing one different Adwords account per country managed through our MCC. Google Analytics and conversion tracking are not an issue as both work well on a cross account basis with MCC, but with the Remarketing code I am still being cautious. My concern is page load time when in this case, if each country has one account I need to install one remarketing code per country, meaning more than 20 remarketing tags in succession in the same page, or pages. With Google Analytics remarketing this is not a problem as one tag will work for all, the issue starts with the Adwords remarketing tag which doesn't work on a cross adwods account basis, but it's still needed to do RLSA. 

I found this two posts that solve the issue but at a much smaller scale (2 different accounts):

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Multiple-remarketing-tags-from-diff...
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Multiple-Remarketing-Cookie-Codes-on-Same...

My concern is that with more than 20+ tags it starts to become a performance, page load time, problem.

Any suggestions or previous experiences with this out there? appreciate your help.

Moises.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple Remarketing tags, 20+ Adwords accounts, 1 page, same webs

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I am curious why you need different accounts which are harder to manage / run compared to different campaigns ( each per country / location) - all under the same account. This will  also resolve the Remarketing tag issue.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Moshe, I still have the open question.
Which one is harder to manage? one encompassing account or multiple accounts?

-With the latest updates to Adwords Editor 11, now you can seamlessly copy/paste from one account to another one,
-In MCC you can have an aggregated view of all the accounts -countries- performance, each country has several sub-campaigns, adgroups, display, and remarketing, so it's a lot of campaigns in one account to sort through even using filters if you want to monitor with certain frequency.
-To pull reporting I think it's also better with one account per country in MCC.

On the other hand with one encompassing account I think adwords editor bulk changes are easier despite of the latest update for cross account editing.

Have not decided yet which way to go. Any input is appreciated.

Thank You Moshe,

Moises.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well... there are a few reasons...

Is this the same business entity sells the  same products in different countries?OR each country / territory  is run as a local (independent) subsidiary?.   Until recently, the practice of the same  business entity (based in one location), and   promote the same products with   similar prices  using different accounts, was considered to be a violation of the double serving.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Moises S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Moises,

I have a client using multiple Accounts to split by country and I have to say I find it a little tiresome to work with.  Yes, you can copy/paste using Editor and the MCC view can show you broad level stats across the Accounts, but doing something like comparing the performance of one Campaign in the US against it's version for the UK is much more difficult when they're in separate Accounts.

A good consistent naming strategy and/or the appropriate use of Labels makes it easy to filter the views for each country.  For example, using a Label "UK" across Campaigns, Groups and Keywords would allow you to very quickly select just those elements and effectively you'll have the same view as if it were it's own Account and it's then much easier to compare one country with another.  You can set up saved Filters for frequently used views to make the process even easier.

As for actual day to day management, are you using Scripts or automation of any kind?  Much of the day to day "tasks" related to AdWords can easily be automated for larger Accounts.

If you do decide to go down the multiple Account route, one solution for the multiple tag issue would be to use Google Tag Manager and sub-domains for each country (e.g. uk.example.com).  You could then use unique tags for each country in GTM, with rules specifying the sub-domain.  In this way you'd only have one tag on the site in total and could build lists for each country easily.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Moshe, this is mobile phone communications, the service is the same for everyone, it's just that it is segmented by country, so the campaigns do not overlap. I don't think we are in the presence of double ad serving.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Moises S 

Agree, hence I said "Until recently" - Google looks, these days, a bit differently on "double serving".
Though, I echo Jon. If it is one business, one payment method, -->> I don't see the benefit of breaking the campaigns into different accounts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jon, your response is most helpful, thank you.

I am taking your suggestions to heart. Since my initial post I have done even more research. Yes, GTM implementation would solve the multiple remarketing tag issue as far as page load time is concern as far as I understood.Question: will it work implemented to the folder level (e.g. example.com/country) as opposed to sub-domain?

As you say, Adwords scripts and labeling seem like a great solution for a one account structure.

I will keep on weighing on this, we will make a decision soon, I'll update the post.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Moises, yes GTM rules should be able to support folders rather than sub-domains; there are all sorts of matching expressions you can use.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Awesome Explanation sir !! Loved it.