star_border

Multiple Landing Page Multi-Variant Testing

TAN
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
TAN
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have a slightly complex problem that I hope there's a solution for.

The campaign I'm running is fairly well optimised and we're running some A/B tests on the landing pages. Unfortunately we have thousands of landing pages each with their own URL (ww.site.com/landing/xxx? or ww.site.com/landing/yyy? etc) so traffic to each individual page is low meaning testing takes far too long.

Each landing page is built around a uniform wireframe with content and form data being updated from a central database based on product parameters. The form that needs to be filled out prior to goal completion has three steps (completing the form does not affect the surrounding page design).

What I would like to do is make universal adjustments to the landing page wireframe and experiment with this as one experiment. This would allow for informed decisions to be made on a more regular basis. Simultainiously I would like to test each step of the form to minimise drop out rates.

I've experimented with URL parameters but don't seem to be having much luck getting Analytics to track the visitor information correctly. Does anybody have any experience of carrying out such tests or any advice that might help?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Multiple Landing Page Multi-Varient Testing

TAN
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
TAN
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have a slightly complex problem that I hope there's a solution for.

The campaign I'm running is fairly well optimised and we're running some A/B tests on the landing pages. Unfortunately we have thousands of landing pages each with their own URL (ww.site.com/landing/xxx? or ww.site.com/landing/yyy? etc) so traffic to each individual page is low meaning testing takes far too long.

Each landing page is built around a uniform wireframe with content and form data being updated from a central database based on product parameters. The form that needs to be filled out prior to goal completion has three steps (completing the form does not affect the surrounding page design).

What I would like to do is make universal adjustments to the landing page wireframe and experiment with this as one experiment. This would allow for informed decisions to be made on a more regular basis. Simultainiously I would like to test each step of the form to minimise drop out rates.

I've experimented with URL parameters but don't seem to be having much luck getting Analytics to track the visitor information correctly. Does anybody have any experience of carrying out such tests or any advice that might help?

Thanks!

Re: Multiple Landing Page Multi-Varient Testing

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi TAN, I've moved your two posts into one, not sure what happened there!

The first thing that occurs to me is that you don't need to test your entire site, you only need to test a representative sample.  Presumably the low traffic is not consistent across your catalogue so what I'd do is pick on - say - 5 or 6 of the top traffic items and A/B test just those.  This way your testing is a lot simpler to manage and you're doing it with a decent sample.

As for Analytics there's probably a few things you could do there.  I see no reason why you shouldn't create a physically different URL for the testing; although I'm a big fan of dynamic content et al, I do also like a proper, solid page I can look at. Smiley Happy  Manual tagging (Value Track) could also be of use in this situation.

Don't forget you can also import Analytics data into Adwords now.  Doing it this way round might make it easier to see the effect of your testing.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Multiple Landing Page Multi-Varient Testing

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi TAN,

Are you by chance using Ajax to post back to the same page the 3 steps of the form? If this is the case, the Analytics code on the content returned with those 3 steps will not run and those page views will not be recorded. As long as the content is not being returned in an iFrame, onclick() and onsubmit() event triggers still work if the code called by the events is on the original page. That means event tracking (aka virtual pageviews) will work. You can use that and set up goals in Analytics that will tell you where users drop out of the sales funnel.

The problem with returning content in an iFrame is scripts in the iFrame are generally not able to access scripts on the main page.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords