Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Campaigns Using Different Match Types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

My manager and I are having a bit of a conflict over our different understandings of adwords.

She wants me two take my current campaigns and copy them, using a different match type. (So for example, my current campaign is all phrase match, she is suggesting that I have two copies of this campaign, one using phrase match and one using exact match.)

From my understanding, however, these two campaigns would be competing to occupy the same ad space, which means that we'd always be paying our max bid rather than the next closest bid - impacting ROI and overall costs.

Is there any benefit to including two campaigns with different match types? Is there any benefit to including the same keywords in the same ad group, but with different match types? (For example an ad group for cupcakes having "home made cupcakes" and [home made cupcakes]) It seems possible that the exact match keyword might have a higher quality score when both keywords match the user search, but in that case it would still be best to include both match types in the same ad group rather than in a seperate ad group or campaign. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple Campaigns Using Different Match Types

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brandon,
In your case there is no problem having two different campaign for two different match type and block all exact match in phrase match type campaign.

**It can be also possible within the same campaign but people strusture their campaigns in this way also and benefit is you can decide which match type is performing better.****

Yes there is a benefit of including same keyword with different match types but you have to bid highest for exact match type then phrase match and lowest for broad match. In this scenario also you will be able to decide which match type is performing better and by structuring campaign this way you will save time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @brandon k there's absolutely no problem using multiple match types of the same Keyword(s) in a single Account, in fact I'd say it's common to do so (I certainly do).  It's probably less common to split them by Campaign, since there's arguably little benefit in doing so (compared to having them in the same or separate Ad Groups).  The usual "decision points" for creating separate Campaigns are based around those features only available at the Campaign level, such as location and budget, and I think it's unlikely that you'll need to have a separate budget (or locations, etc.) for the different match types, so I'd suggest either simply adding variations to your existing phrase-only Ad Groups, or creating duplicate Groups with different match types.

I do have to disagree with @santosh s about bidding, however.  You don't need to bid more for exact matches, or phrase matches over broad.  You should, as you always would, use bids that achieve your goals, regardless of match type.  It's not hard to imagine scenarios where the phrase match version of a Keyword converts more and to a greater Return on Investment than the exact match, and in such cases it would be foolish to bid more for the exact version.  Simply adjust your bids as you would normally.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,
Thanks very much for enlightening me. I have learned that bidding method(highest bidding for exact) here and many eminent top contributors mentioned that in several post.

Thanks again.
Santosh

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @santosh s point these top contributors out to me and I'll argue with them in private Smiley Happy

Seriously, some confusion may arise because in some, perhaps many, cases you will end up bidding more for Exact match, but it'll be because of its performance, not simply because of its match type.  As I said, the logical thing to do in any situation with AdWords is to bid the highest and spend the most on the elements that give you the greatest return for your goals.  Although there are many "best practices" and common methods, at the end of the day, if you simply look for the best performance, you can't go far wrong.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits