AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Broad Match Modifiers and Phrase Match - Competing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the best practice when using Broad Match Modifiers in conjunction with Phrase Match and Exact?

For example I have a geo targeted campaign 30 miles of Bristol and an Agroup and it contains the following:

+suit +hire - to capture any search query with suit and hire keywords regardless of any location specified.

+suit +hire +bristol - to capture any search query with suit, hire and bristol specific keywords

"suit hire bristol" - to specifically monitor and target this query combination

[suit hire bristol] - I am not running this yet, but there is potential to be in the future.

Currently my Max CPC on +suit +hire is higher (say £2.50) than the other variants of the keyword, to maintain a high Avg. The "suit hire bristol" and +suit +hire +bristol do not require such a Max CPC (say £2.20 and £2.00). My concern is that my keywords are potentially competing with each other.

My general thought was to review this config and ensure that the wider coverage BMM +suit +hire had a lower Max CPC than the more specific "suit hire bristol". However, this would most likely impact the Avg Pos of this keyword reducing its performance...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple Broad Match Modifiers and Phrase Match - Competing?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mark P you really don't have to worry about Keywords "competing with each other" as they never really do this.  AdWords has a complex algorithm that determines the "best" Keyword to use for a match in every given auction and part of this "best" decision involves the likely cost per click, so allowing Google to do the work for you will generally result in the most efficient spend.

How much you bid for each term should be based upon their performance (in terms of ROI in this case) and you'd make that decision as though the Keywords were entirely disparate terms.  Does +suit +hire +bristol get a better ROI than +suit +hire?  Bid more for it, it's as simple as that.

What I would suggest is that you consider using multiple Ad Groups (it sounds like you're using one).  With or without the location term could indicate a different intent and you may want to ensure your Ads reflect that intent.  For example, if I lived in Stroud, I might be prepared to travel to Bristol to hire a suit, but I probably wouldn't specifically search for Bristol so your Ads might need to persuade me you're worth the journey more than you would if I had already decided to go to Bristol.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon

I have a different point of view from what you have explained. I would always try to make sure that my keywords trigger from only those ad groups/keywords where I want them from. If I leave it to Google to let it determine the best keyword for triggering a related/same query then I may never be able to identify the exact/actual performance of a keyword. For example, when using all three match types of a keyword, it's possible that the exact match keyword can trigger from either Phrase or Broad match. If it does, it will be very difficult for me to get the actual performance of that exact match keyword. This is a little time consuming process but helpful.

So, to avoid this and not to let Google to determine where to trigger the keyword from, I would use proper negatives. I would create separate ad groups for all 3 match types and add exact match negative in Phrase match ad group, phrase match negative in BMM ad group. If I am not running Exact match keywords then I will not add these as negatives in Phrase match ad groups, only if I want to show on those terms as well.

@Mark - In your case, if you have keywords like +suit +hire +bristol and +suit +hire, I would recommend to have such variations in separate ad groups so that you can add "bristol" as negative in ad group having keyword +suit +hire. This way you can be sure what queries are triggering from both ad groups.

Regards,
Ashish

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ashish, ive nothing more to add to you theory except i agree 100%. relinquishing control to adwords is not something i like doing. its all about control, control, control for me.

but of course jon does have to take into account time and effort and balance that with total control.