Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Multi channel funnels

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everybody, 

Quick question, when looking though multi channel funnels its claims one of the top conversions paths is a user clicking on a paid ad then returning directly to the site and making a purchase. Would this conversion still get attributed to adwords or can i actually ad this to my total revenue when reporting?

Ta

Jonny

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multi channel funnels

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Jonny,

My understanding is that if the conversion happened within 30 days of an Adwords click, then it would be attributed to the Adwords and you will see conversion going up inside your Adwords interface.

But Google Analytics cookie work in a different manner. Also the way reporting is handled inside Google Analytics is little bit different to that way Adwords counts. Google ANalytics will give the benefit to the last click and accordingly show you the conversion metrics.

I would encourage you to read this excellent reference on this topic and I hope that will help you understand things more effectively: http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2679221

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

thanks for this, much clearer than what my adwords rep said Smiley Happy

Jonny

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
@ Jonny, Glad I could help a bit Smiley Happy

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

Excellent point from Pankaj,

Just to add to what he has explained

• If you you are looking at adwords conversion, you will get credit for conversion within 30 days irrespective of any other channels. So paid>> direct for this path you will get conversion in adwords.
  • In analytics credit is given to last non direct source so in case or paid >> direct again your campaign will get credit

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

One intersting thing related to this... if a visitor completes a purchase after arriving from a remarketing campaign - you cannot see how that visitor got to the the site in the first place to get added to the list... segmenting the remarketing lists by source within Analytics is the only way I can see to do this, but I must admit I haven't gotten around to it yet!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello, Steve.

In MCF you can see, for 30 days, the whole path for assisted conversions. Of course, if you have remarketing lists with a duration longer than 30 days, say 45, and a visitor is added to the list on day 1 and then comes back and converts on day 40, you will not see the original source in MCF.

But if he comes today, is added to the list, and returns tomorrow and converts, you'll be able to see something like this

mcf-paths.png

Now, I have no idea how that guy ended up on the remarketing list, but I know that the first source still within the 30 days interval was Paid Search. Then he came back via remarketing, went away, checked some prices elsewhere maybe, got back directly twice and finally, after exhausting our processing power and bandwidth, showed us the money Smiley Happy.

However, you can do the following: remarket with Google Analytics, and create different remarketing lists per acquisition source. You'll have: Organic Remarketing, Paid Remarketing, Direct Remarketing, and so on. Then target them in several different campaigns (same ads, same everything, just different campaign names and audiences).

Then, if you're lucky and you get that guy back in less than 30 days since he was added to that remarketing list, you're lucky, because you'll see something like "Organic Remarketing Campaign" as the first step of the path. If the guy (or gal, actually) comes back on day 31, you'll see that source of the visit as the first step of the path.

I know GA could store MCF data for over 30 days, as they clearly have the cookie set for 6 months, but I also know that this would mean much more processing power available (for free), and I think it would be less useful, because the AdWords cookie is also 30 days long and some whisper, in dark corners, that the main purpose of MCF was to make it clear for AdWords spenders that there's more to it than the last click Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Some great feedback form everyone here thanks.

Just on remarketing, if i have traditional remarketing set up in adwords should i bother with remarketing in analytics?

Jonny

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello, Jonny.

It depends. Analytics allows you to use only certain segments of your visitors for your remarketing lists. If you don't use Analytics, you have to move the logic (do I add this or not) somewhere else, on the server, between some lines of code.

AdWords adds someone to a list if the remarketing code is on a certain page, regardless of any other criteria. Analytics is smarter, from this point of view.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Calin.

So is it a case of using one or the other or can both adwords and analytics remarketing work together.

Jonny