AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Most of my clicks are generated from content and not from keywords. Y?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Most of my clicks are generated from content and not from keywords. I dont get how does it happen.

When I go to Ads > Segment > keyword / placement, it shows that 99.99% of the clicks are for "content". But my coversion ratio is very low. 

So how does my ad gets displayed if it is not triggered by a keyword?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Smit
September 2015

Re: Most of my clicks are generated from content and not from keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Smit,

Select Display Keywords under the Display Network tab and you'll likely face the reason. (Unless you opted into a special option regarding the Display Network which you would have mentioned I think.)

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Smit!

Content will almost always be lower in conversion rate.  Its the difference between push vs. pull marketing.  Google recognized this and allowed us to bid differently for display vs. search. so I wouldn't fret over the conversion rate.  

Thanks

ComputerBob

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Smit
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

That's interesting, I have never played with that segment before...

It looks like this segment is only available if you are targeting both search and display networks, correct?

Content refers to the display network, and KW refers to the search network KW terms which triggered your ad to show on the search network, right?

So, the ads being shown are being shown on the display network. The KW's used determine the context as to what placements on the display network your ad will be shown on. 

First of all, isolate your campaigns. You can just copy and paste the campaigns in the adwords editor if you want to. Opt one into the search network only, and one into the display network only (you will have to re-name the copied campaign).

Split your total budget between the two campaigns, and see which campaign spends the allocated budget.

If the display campaign has no problem spending the money, but search fails to accrue any clicks, then the reason why 99% of your clicks are coming from content/display would seem to be because: All your budget is being eaten up by display, or your search KW's are not showing ads - Possibly due to bid/adrank.

Isolating campaigns helps if for no other reason than to know that 100% of the data in each campaign is for each network. Then you can more easily find problems, spot trends, allocate budget, etc. between the two networks. 

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Lakatos, ComputerBob and tomhalejr. this was very helpful.