6.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

More or Less Keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello: I am a general practice lawyer. Over the last few years about 99% of my clicks come from 2 keywords in my general practice ad group. I have about 1000 keywords in that ad group, and a general practice home page. Should I just concentrate on those 2 keywords or continue with the more blunderbuss list?
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael S P
September 2015

Re: More or Less Keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Michael,

1002 keywords in a single ad group is a bit much. Even though the keywords that aren't getting clicks aren't costing you a defined dollar amount they are receiving impressions (i assume) which is bringing down your average click through rate. A good idea would be to have a separate ad group (or even campaign) with those two keywords while still keeping that large keyword list active. You can check the search terms of those two main keywords and add the relevant ones as keywords. When doing this you may realize that the two main keywords are bringing in many clicks from irrelevant queries. Try using different keyword match types if that is the case. Doing this should help you get a better idea of which keywords can bring in quality clicks at a cost that works for you.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael S P
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Michael,

1002 keywords in a single ad group is a bit much. Even though the keywords that aren't getting clicks aren't costing you a defined dollar amount they are receiving impressions (i assume) which is bringing down your average click through rate. A good idea would be to have a separate ad group (or even campaign) with those two keywords while still keeping that large keyword list active. You can check the search terms of those two main keywords and add the relevant ones as keywords. When doing this you may realize that the two main keywords are bringing in many clicks from irrelevant queries. Try using different keyword match types if that is the case. Doing this should help you get a better idea of which keywords can bring in quality clicks at a cost that works for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm going to take your advice and form a new group and move the 2 "key" keywords into that new group and keep the very underperforming keyword in their own group.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Michael, while I generally agree with joshl's comments, I would more strongly question the need to retain the "other" 1000 Keywords.  If 99% of your clicks are coming from 2 Keywords, the vast majority of those 1000 Keywords must be very seriously underperforming and even if they occasionally deliver clicks - or even conversions (however you're measuring those) their adverse effect is almost certainly greater than any benefit.

As you may be aware, AdWords uses an attribute called Quality Score as part of the Ad Ranking calculation during an auction.  In very simple terms, if your Quality Score is 7/10 and your bid $10, your effective bid is $7.  You can see, I'm sure, that it's in your very best interests to have as high a QS as possible to get higher positions for lower costs.

How are these 1000 Keywords relevant to this?  Quality Score is not calculated in isolation for each Keyword but can be influenced by all other Keywords within an Account and even more so in an Ad Group where Group relevance is almost certainly very low.  So, if your two performing Keywords have a QS of 6/10, it may be they could be 8, 9 or even 10/10 if you weren't running the other 1000 Keywords.

Generally speaking I have never seen a good reason to retain Keywords that attract no clicks over a reasonable period of time and, where conversion tracking is set up, those that receive clicks without conversion.  Even when clicks/conversions are happening, you must always weigh up the benefits against the losses - there's no point retaining a 3/10 Keyword because it delivers 1 conversion every 6 months if it's causing your other Keywords that deliver a conversion every day to lose one or two points of QS.

On another aspect, I'd be very surprised if there weren't alternative Keywords that could perform in a similar fashion to your two "high performers".  Such a split of 2 to 1000 in terms of performance suggests to me that there are problems with the Group structure and relevance of these Keywords overall.  If - when - you dramatically reduce your Keyword numbers, it'd be very worthwhile creating additional Ad Groups to split the remaining terms in numerous tightly themed Groups, each contaning Ads specifically written for the Keywords they contain. Use the Search Details report to examine the search terms that actually generated the clicks and mine this list for additional, click producing Keywords that may have a higher QS.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits