4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

More and less specific keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I read somewhere that in AdWords I should use all three keywords: Bible translation, "Bible translation", and [Bible translation].

But recently I have called Google. A Google employee wondered why I used three keywords instead of one. She suggested to delete all but Bible translation.

Who is right? Should I use all these three keywords or just Bible translation?

Also if use the one-word keyword Bible, should I now remove all three above mentioned keywords?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: More and less specific keywords

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Victor, how are things?

I've mentioned this briefly on your other topic: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Should-I-split-an-ad-group-into-s...

Those 3 keywords you mentioned have different symbols along, which means different Keyword Match Types. In case you don't know them, here's one article that will definitely help you: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

As part of best practice, you can have the same keyword with different match types, but avoid at all costs having the same keyword with the same match type. The only exception here is when you have multiple campaigns targeting different geographic location. In this case, if you have the keyword BIBLE in each campaign, since they're targeting different regions, they wil not compete, so it's okay.

Important thing: Keep close watch over BROAD Match type. When you have keywords in broad match, Google will consider every term on that keyword as individual keywords, so in your case, if you use the keyword 'bible translation' in BROAD, it's the same as if you two keywords, 'bible' and 'translation', and ANY user query containing those words will trigger you ad, like:

- Italian to english translation
- document translation
- when bible was written?
- etc...

So best thing here is to use the negative keywords, which are the keywords that you DON'T want to show your ads.

Also, if there's the possibility, prefer using Broad Match MODIFIER (it's no Broad Match), Phrase and Exact.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Re: More and less specific keywords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Victor,

I agree with Leandro. Keep the phrase and exact match, change the broad match to BMM:

+Bible +translation

That will stop your ad from showing for queries like:
- Italian to english translation
- document translation
- when bible was written?
- etc...

Keep an eye on the search terms report to see what queries are triggering ads for the phrase match and broad match for keyword candidates, both positive and negative. Do you specialize in any particular language translations? If so, it may be worthwhile to create ad groups that target those languages. For example: +Bible +translation +English +French

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords