Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile-preferred ETAs

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi good people! Smiley Happy

I'm having a blast adding and testing the ETAs, and they have been working well for me, compared to the Standard ads. But one thing I loved about the Standard ones was the fact you could actually create a mobile-preferred ad, with a more "mobile-oriented message".

I was told that you can still have mobile-preferred ETAs, simply by adding a mobile URL. Now, I've tried several times on AdWords Editor (I've got version 11.6.3) but it still gives me an error message saying something like I need a Final URL in order to post... I've been to Google AdWord's YouTube channel and still they say it's possible to do it - Am I missing something obvious here?? Haha.

Can somebody help me out to figure out how I can do this? I know ETAs serve on all devices, but I really want to have some mobile-preferred ads.

Thanks a lot, you rock!

Daniel

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Mobile-preferred ETAs

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

ETA's are really designed to be serve the same ad content onto mobile, laptop, or desktop in slightly different formats.  

If you want to deliver ads with a different message to mobile devices, you are going to need to run a separate campaign, configured with mobile-only ad content, and device preferences (bid adjustments) configured to serve to mobile devices only.  

This is my current understanding based on working with ETAs for 90 days, however I could be mistaken. If one of the experts here knows a way around this, please educate us! 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Mobile-preferred ETAs

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

ETA's are really designed to be serve the same ad content onto mobile, laptop, or desktop in slightly different formats.  

If you want to deliver ads with a different message to mobile devices, you are going to need to run a separate campaign, configured with mobile-only ad content, and device preferences (bid adjustments) configured to serve to mobile devices only.  

This is my current understanding based on working with ETAs for 90 days, however I could be mistaken. If one of the experts here knows a way around this, please educate us! 

Mobile-preferred ETAs

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Steve,

I was also told about that suggestion, but I'd like to have the mobile-preferred ETAs in the same campaign and ad Group, if possible... But yeah, if there's anyone else with a different view/opinion, please feel free to reply! Thanks Steve!

Mobile-preferred ETAs

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Daniel V,

Along with what Steve added... the course of action now is to use a Bid by Device modifier, which is the new way to make the extended text ad mobile preferred. If you set a -50-percent bid for desktops, you are going to see more action on mobile. If you set that to -100-percent... you will no longer be serving the text ad on desktops.

In essence, the old way was to use test ads and designate one to mobile... now, as Steve stated, everything is mobile-focused already and you demote desktops, if you so desire.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James

Mobile-preferred ETAs

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

The way James stated it is the better, and more correct way of looking at it: design first for mobile; the other platforms are secondary, albeit still important.  

Already today, the majority of valuable search traffic is coming from mobile; with exceptions in some vertical markets of course.

Google is staying ahead of the curve adapting to this new reality, so the new recommended "best practice" is to design 'first for mobile'. Although I've always been a mobile enthusiast, a year ago i wouldn't have believed this would happen so quickly but that day is here now. 

My "mobile history" looks like my signature line below (from a mobile forum I participated in until 2012). So if *I'm* a bit surprised by the transition in search conversions to mobile, you can bet a lot of other people likely are too. 

(~1990) Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290> Sprint 3G + Cradlepoint MiFi > iPhone 2G>Android G1>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Android G2>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09) > iPhone 3GS > iPad 1 >1st HTC 4G Android on Sprint> 2nd & 3rd iPad 1 > Motorola Droid 2 > iPhone 3GS > iPad 2 > iPhone 4 > Samsung 4G 'Charge' Android on Verizon > 2nd & 3rd iPad2 > iPhone 4>HTC EVO Shift by Samsung, on Sprint (January, 2012) >Pending: iPad 3 Feb-Mar 2012; iPhone 5 Q3 2012 ;  (... it gets worse after 2012Smiley Happy

Mobile-preferred ETAs

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

I just read an article today in SEL that says you can still create mobile preferred text ads. If, you use ad customizers. I agree with the sentiments expressed here. However, if any of you are interested, you may want to check it out. It's a good article on ETA's in general.

http://searchengineland.com/5-ingredients-writing-perfect-expanded-text-ad-262023#.WBpjET8s7sM.googl...

Tom

Mobile-preferred ETAs

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi James,

Your suggestion is a good one, one that has been discussed within my team, but that would mean that ALL of the ETAs in the Ad Group would be subjected to that same modifier, am I correct? Since you can't apply the modifier to any single ad copy...

I guess what I can do is look at the Ad Groups that have more traffic coming from Mobile and apply that setting on them and test for a while Smiley Happy...

Thanks James!

Mobile-preferred ETAs

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Tom,

This is a more elucidative article that gives several ideas and suggestions, leaving space for open-mindness about practices and plenty of testing in the new world of ETAs.

Thanks a lot for this Tom!