6.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile optimized version of landing page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Adwords help document entitled "Understanding landing page experience" states:

"If you have a distinct, mobile-optimised version of your site, we recommend that you configure your server to show the mobile-optimised site when the AdWords mobile User-Agent is detected."

How is this done?  What exactly on the server needs to be configured to achieve this?  thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile optimized version of landing page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

As far as I understand in simple words it means that if you have a dedicated mobile website, then AdWords Bot should be able to access it and evaluate it during the ad auction process when your ad competes with other advertisers. Hence your mobile optimized website should be accessible when someone tries to open it from any high end mobile. Similarly the Ads Bot should be able to access your regular desktop version website when it tries to reach your website.

So from programming perspective, the code should be such that when someone is on laptop and accessing your website, it should open example.com and when someone opens the same in mobile, it should redirect knowing that someone is accessing it from a mobile and goes to example.com/mobile. This is just an example. Google Ad Bot should be able to access both URLs to evaluate landing page quality and other metrics which counts.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I'm looking for the specific method on how to tell Adwords mobile bot when it visits my site that the mobile site.is located at a specific url.

For example, should I set up the desktop site on the main domain and have a robots.txt that disallows Adwords mobile bot? Then put the mobile site in a sub domain with a separate robots.txt, which lists out all Adwords bots as disallowed but only allow Adwords mobile bot?

Or is there an easier/better/more standard method?

Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi duko,

Google prefers sites with responsive design. That sets the page size and layout depending on the screen size using CSS 3. If you don't already have a mobile site built, your time is better spent implementing responsive design.

If you do have a mobile site built under a different sub-domain, they are suggesting you redirect Adwords mobile bot to the mobile sub-domain or mobile page. On an Apache server, you do this with the .htaccess file. On a windows server it's a bit more complicated. The site, or landing page, must be dynamic in this case. These server would read the user-agent on each request. If the user-agent indicates Adwords mobile bot, either do a 302 redirect or serve up the mobile page.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pete, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Yes I understand the preference for responsive design and this is slated as my longer term solution.

For the short term tho, I need to direct the Google mobile bot to my mobile site.

I have an apache server.  Do you know what command(s) is needed in the .htaccess file to detect and then re-direct the G mobile bot?  Thanks again.