3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile-only campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I apparently made an incredibly huge mistake this week when I opted our "mobile-only" Display Network campaign into "Enhanced" status.

Previously, this campaign showed ads only on mobile devices, but the new settings don't allow that any longer.  The mobile bid adjustment range is -100% to +300%, but even when I set it to +300% I am still seeing 40% of clicks coming from non-mobile computers. 

We were already seeing awful ROI from our mobile campaigns, which is why they were already segregated, and it's also why I decided to try to move to Enhanced campaigns so we could do % bid adjustments for topics & interests (this has helped improve ROI on some other campaigns) -- but now it looks like this is just the end of the road, since without any ability to segregate mobile activity, we're just going to need to exclude all of it.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile-only campaigns?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi
Welcome to Adwords community,

Here are few things you can try with enhanced campaigns and mobile 

• If you want to negate desktop totally besides bid adjustment you can also create mobile only ads inside your campaign as shown in screenshot below
  • If you have mobile as well as desktop landing pages you can manage both from same adcopy as described in this article

mobile.PNG

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why is this marked as solved? The reply is incorrect. The "mobile preference" doesn't prevent those ads from being shown on other devices (according to the desciption) and of course changing settings means flushing all history of existing ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
From the ? tooltip shown when next to the "mobile" checkbox: "If your ad group contains mobile-optimized text ads only, those ads may appear on desktops and laptop computers and tablets."

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had already copied all the existing ads (which weren't tagged as "mobile preferred") and tagged the new copies as mobile-preferred, and I've disabled the prior ads.

As expected, I'm seeing lots of adviews for these "mobile-preferred" ads on "Computer" devices, especially across Automatic Placements (which I've now disabled, at least temporarily).  

In another discussion thread, folks suggest adding a non-mobile-preferred ad with low CTR, which Google would then use for Computer devices; the low-CTR ad would soon lose traffic (because it has such low CTR). It's unclear whether this would even accomplish the intended goal. And this seems like a ridiculous work-around, and seems like a guaranteed way to waste funds if Automatic Placements are needed for the mobile campaign.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Mark, a couple of things to raise on the issue.

Firstly, in order for the "mobile-preference" Ad setting to work you must have at least one "non-mobile" Ad, which I believe is what you're referring to in the final paragraph of your last post.  It is not just a "suggestion" it's a "must" otherwise the mobile preference setting is completly ignored.  I would not recommend that you create a "bad" Ad for this purpose - create a good desktop Ad.

Secondly, when using bid adjustments, have you made sure your default CPC is as low as possible?  The device adjustments work on the default so when trying to reduce the number of desktop impressions you should choose as low a default as possible (which effectively becomes the "desktop" CPC) then use the bid adjustment to increase this for mobiles.

I'll admit I'm a little confused by your first post which seems to suggest you had a mobile-only campaign purely because the ROI was very poor and you wanted to split it off.  If this is the case (and I've read your post correctly);

a)  why run a mobile campaign at all, why not just target desktops?

b)  why would there be a problem with the mobile-only campaign occasionally showing Ads to the desktop, since presumably this has a decent ROI?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Mark,

Google is taking Feedback and Suggestions on Enhanced Campaigns 

As Cobnut mentioned, a desktop ad is a MUST. In my opinion, the only way to prevent desktop traffic is to have Adwords offer device targeting tool again. I am not sure if this will happen (I put in a request using the link above) There are pros and cons for Google:

- A big con for the exisiting setup is the fact that Google users will end up visiting irrelevant sites (I am showing a desktop ad for my mobile campaigns hoping for 0 visitors as end users are unable to convert using desktop and/or Tablets) This may harm the overall Google experience for specific users.

- A big pro for the Enhanced campaigns is the money, Google will make more money with the current setup.

Time will tell, I would encourage everyone to send their feedback/suggestions using the link above. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the feedback. We had mobile-only campaigns with reasonable ROI which sagged over the past few months, partly due to inattention (Google was showing our b2b ads inside gaming apps).
We're seeing serious technical issues in some campaigns, and I'm not going to add additional layers of complexity by merging mobile also. And Google's reporting doesn't slice & dice data well if multiple issues are combined (for example, we can't easily view ad performance by ad shape & size, unless we manually split campaigns into multiple ad groups, which multiplies campaign management complexity).

I had hoped that the switch to % bid adjustments would help us bring ROI back to acceptable levels, but we've had to disable automatic placements and yet we're still seeing desktop activity corrupting our data.

We have tiny default bids, plus huge % adjustments, and yet apparently due to other technical glitches, we're seeing only nominal traffic on the mobile campaign. The management cost far exceeds any likely benefit, at this point.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Mark, can you elaborate on the "technical issues"?  Are you saying that there are bugs you've found that have been reported?

I'll admit I'm still confused.  Your comment "We're seeing serious technical issues in some campaigns, and I'm not going to add additional layers of complexity by merging mobile also" suggests that you must include mobile devices and you don't have to.  It's quite possible with Enhanced Campaigns to target desktops only.

The other comments about measuring Campaign performance is, with respect, no different from any large AdWords account and something that has been the case long before the appearance of Enhanced Campaigns.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, after going through Google forums for mobile-only campaigns/ad groups, i thought i will give back by doing a sumary of what I have learnt:

Latest update: After the mandatory update to Enhanced campaigns, we no longer can create Mobile-Only campaigns. Instead, Google makes our lives easier by asking us to check the "mobile-preferred" box if you want the ad to show for mobile only. 

SUMMARY:

There are 3 suggestions to create an MOBILE-ONLY campaign.

1) Use "Mobile preference" Ads. 

When you edit an Ad, you'll see now you have a small checkbox that gives you the ability to say that you'd like this Ad to be shown on mobiles.

If you have both types of ads in an ad group, only your mobile ads will show to users on mobile devices, and desktop ads will show to other users. (from Google)

It is not possible to have all mobile-ads in an ad group. Some forums users have suggested adding a low ctr desktop ad in the ad group. 

There are mixed answers from the forums, saying that the mobile-preferred ads will still show on desktop. Lets test it out. 

2) Pick only banners that are in the size for mobile devices. 

The sizes will be:

320x50

300x250

300x100

250x250

200x200

3) Mobile-optimized landing pages.

Sources: 

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/2953032?hl=en

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Mobile-only-settings-for-Enhanced-Campaign...

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Mobile-only-campaigns/td-p/120590

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Can-I-have-a-search-campaign-only-f...