Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile Search Optimization

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I am looking for tips about how to optimize a mobile (phone only) search campaign in terms of multi screen influence. I want to show ads to people searching for various keywords but I don't expect them to buy from their phones. How can I see if my campaign is influencing later purchases when they are on other devices?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile Search Optimization

Mof Google Employee
Google Employee
# 2
Mof Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi Davidcorman,

In terms of mobile search campaign, please note that they can act differently to other campaigns. The main reason is that users tend to search with less keyword and are often more local focussed. The user's different behaviour, means that the following tips should be taken into 

1. Bid differently: Many advertisers use more aggressive bids for their mobile campaigns, since fewer ads can be shown on each mobile search results page.
  2. Define a separate budget: Creating a separate mobile campaign allows you to set a budget specifically for mobile ads.
  3. Test different keywords: Your keywords may perform differently on mobile devices, so a separate mobile campaign allows you to test keywords without affecting your desktop campaign.
  4. Write mobile-specific ad text: A separate mobile campaign allows you to customize your ad text for mobile users. For example, you can tell customers to "Request a quote from your phone."
  5. Use mobile-specific landing pages: Websites load differently on mobile devices, which have smaller screens and often have touchscreens. You may want to create a landing Page specifically for your mobile customers.

You can also check out this video also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c5fz67ucBqg

Unfortunately, when a customer/user is using different devices they are also using different IP addresses. For this reason neither Conversion Tracking nor Google Analytics will be able to track that two searches are coming from the same user. In order to measure ROI most accurately, ideally we would like to see a mobile-specific landing page capable of conversion tracking.

Re: Mobile Search Optimization

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for your reply and tips.

I guess the crux of my question is whether people are using their phones to buy online or more for research. Since our company is selling software, I assume most people are buying only on their laptops/desktops since that is where they will use the products. Therefore, how can we measure the ROI for a mobile campaign (either search or display for that matter)?