3.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile Friendly test failed but mobile search results labeled mobile friendly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, our website fails the mobile friendly test but when it's searched on a mobile device the search results say that it's mobile friendly. Our developer says that it fails the test because they have a robots.txt file in place which blocks several JS and CSS files from being indexed and that I shouldn't be concerned since it shows up in search as mobile friendly.

Can someone explain the discrepancy and whether this will have a negative impact on our organic search results?

I'd really appreciate any insight into whether I should be concerned about failing the test since it does say mobile friendly on mobile device searches.

Thank you very much!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile Friendly test failed but mobile search results labeled mobile friendly

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Joy,

I have had multiple clients run into this same issue. I will tell you that if your website passed all the other checks easily like font, viewport, links, plugins, etc. and no more changes should be made then I would definitely look at changing your robots.txt file to allow access to the javascript and css. I have found the easier you make it for Google to access how your website loads, the better your site will perform and will score on mobile. There is also a handy mobile-friendly Chrome extension that helps you check your website on the fly to view all problems.

Hope this helps

Re: Mobile Friendly test failed but mobile search results labeled mobile friendly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much for your answer - I really very much appreciate your time!

I used the PageSpeed Insights tool and it looks like the site passes most categories except this:

Your page has 8 blocking script resources and 12 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.

It then lists the problem areas. Would a Chrome extension give me any other information? I looked in the web store. Is it the Google Analytics debugger that you recommend?

Does taking off these two blocking resources generally entail a lot of work for the developer and impact significantly on the website's functions?

Thanks again for any further insights!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joy R
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Joy R,

Jordan gave you good advice.

You might also want to check out Google's webmaster community. They have plenty of people there who can help with questions around website functionality also!

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Kim

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much, Kim! It seems like between you both I have a solution.