Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Mistake Calls - Call Extension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Community,

Since I started my campaign I had about a third of the clicks made through the call extension. And that is close to half of the cost.

But I think that all of those clicks are consumer mistakes.

Firstly, because I never received an intensional call.

Second, because out of the number of clicks that are reported, I only received a small fraction of that number in calls.

Third, because all of the calls that I did receive were plain mistakes, where people didn't realize what they were clicking on. They expected that I was, for example, the national electricity company or some other organizations.

So, my question is, where do I ask for my money back on this Smiley Happy ?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Mistake Calls - Call Extension

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mightyiam,

If users calling you via call extension expect you - as you say - to be the national electricity company my best guess is that there should be a serious issue with the wording of the ad copy. It also makes me think that before asking your money back you could perhaps double-check the work you've invested. 

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Lakatos,
I've checked my keywords and my ads and they all seem reasonably not related to anything other than my service.
I've a 3.12% CTR.
I'm sure that this is a general consumer mistake. People here in Israel can be quite clumsy.
What do you think I should do?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hang on please..... will try to fetch you an expert from Israel..... (because I don't know the country)

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello mightyiam;

As Lakatos said, it looks that you need to improve your ad-copy and keyword match types.

There is a language issue here;

Please post your question on the Hebrew forum, in Hebrew, and we and we will try to help;

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/adwords-iw

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been experiencing this for months, 5-10 "wrong number" calls a day. What I actually think is happening is that searchers are writing down the 800 numbers they see in ads (on desktops/laptops) to use later, and by the time they get around to calling, Google has already recycled/re-assigned the 800 number to another advertiser's ad (mine).

So, they call us expecting to get the business that had the 800 number before we did, which is why they call asking for what seems like random things. 

I don't know how to make it stop, other than turning off call extensions altogether. It doesn't appear we're getting charged for the wrong number calls, but it is a big waste of time for my sales team.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have had this issue ever since we started using call extensions. It has absolutely nothing to do with our ad copy or targeting. The phone number AdWords assigned to our account seem to be very similar to other companies' toll-free numbers, and for some reason, we get an insane number of misdials. Every single call from the last 30 days has been a misdial -- and we are getting charged for about half of these. AdWords does not seem to have a solution, other than assigning a new number, which did not help a bit -- it just switched up the company people thought they were calling. We are turning off the call extension until AdWords has a real solution to wrong number calls.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords has been running the the phone number as the headline for the ad and the actual headline the AdWords customer types in is made into the fine print. So someone will type "freds plumbing repair" and it will trigger the key word "plumbing repair" with the headline: Call: (999) 999-9999. The searcher assumes the number is for "freds plumbing repair." We have been the victim of this Ad Words problem too.