AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Meta Descriptions in organic Google search results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For our paid advertisements, the meta descriptions that come up under the title of the company are changeable.  In the organic search results, some of the results come up with meta descriptions that we can't find anywhere on our site.  We also recently overhauled most of our website, including descriptions. Does anyone have experience with this?  Is it possible that Google has a cache of old descriptions and is not updating the search results?

We have also spoken to our web developer and they are also not sure where it is coming from.

Thanks.

Ellie

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Meta Descriptions in organic Google search results

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Ellie,

Welcome to the community.

I don't believe the organic sitelinks have to be based on the meta descriptions, Google can just create them using your on-page content as they see fit. You are correct in thinking that they might be a cache of older descriptions though.

If nobody can help you here then I suggest asking on the Webmaster Central community as it's better suited for your question.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Ellie,

Welcome to the community.

I don't believe the organic sitelinks have to be based on the meta descriptions, Google can just create them using your on-page content as they see fit. You are correct in thinking that they might be a cache of older descriptions though.

If nobody can help you here then I suggest asking on the Webmaster Central community as it's better suited for your question.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi there Ellie, 

This article from the Webmaster Tools site might help explain the situation you are experiencing, it is on "Site Title and Description". 

Hope this helps!

A.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Google may show old data.

Google sometime use different information from website to show them together to look it relevant to users.

It may also show information from open directory.