AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Maximum number of negative keywords per campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys --

I'd love your help on a confusing Adwords issue!

Our adwords strategy includes using a lot of negative keywords. I just tried ot post a bunch via the Adwords editor -- and I got an error that they didn't go through. I called up Adwords, they researched it and here is what they emailed me after researching it:

"I see that in this error that is displaying that it says the limit is 10,000 negative keywords per campaign. You campaign has 9980 negative keyword, so if you are trying to upload more than 20 more negative keywords for your campaign "_campaign name inserted here_" it is not going to allow the upload.
"I just found a list of limits on keywords that was posting in the Help Center 4 days ago. This does not include the limits on keywords per campaign, but does explain how many are allow per account (5 mil, which is more than I stated): http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704396
"Unfortunately there is no way to get around the limit for your campaign. If you have any questions about this feel free to reply to this email. We look forward to providing you with the most effective advertising available."
This is just truly odd: on their list of maximum keywords (5 million, etc) that they publish, *nowhere do they mention the maximum keywords per campaign* nor the maximum *negative keywords* anywhere. Googling around, I couldn't find any published nor public mention of any limits on these either.
Does anyone know anything else about this policy? Is there anything I can do to get around it? Thank you for your help!!!
-morgan

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Maximum number of negative keywords per campaign?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Morgan,

How many campaigns do you have? The negative keyword limit of 10k is per campaign so it sounds to me like structuring the campaigns could help as probably not all negatives are relevant for all keywords. This wiki on account structure might help: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/AdWords-Account-Structure/ta-p/56

Other option as you mentioned is using match types and the broad match modifier more. This wiki might help you with that: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Understanding-Evaluating-and-Managing-AdWord...

Karl

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Morgan,

The only possible category that I see that *may* be related to your issues is "10,000 location targets (targeted and excluded) per campaign, including up to 500 proximity targets per campaign".

Although it states "Location targets", it's possible that is also applies to "targeted or excluded" keywords.

If you have reached the limit, I think you may have to eliminate some of your negative keywords inorder to add more.

You *may* want to eliminate the less common negative keyword search ex: Bee vs Bees. I believe that most searchers would search on the plural vs singular.

Another thought is if you could change the "Keyword Matching Options" Exact and Phrase Matching to possibly help in eliminating other variables.

Lastly, you could make your account mostly "Exact Matches", and change your settings in the "Keyword Matching Options" to eliminate "some" of the need for Negative Exclusions". Just a thought.

Hope this helps,

RPquest

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704396  AdWords account limits

These are the limits for an AdWords account:

• 10,000 campaigns (includes active and paused campaigns)
  • 20,000 ad groups per campaign
  • 5,000 keywords per ad group
  • 300 display ads per ad group (includes image ads)
  • 4 million active or paused ads per account
  • 5 million keywords per account
  • 10,000 location targets (targeted and excluded) per campaign, including up to 500 proximity targets per campaign*
  • 100,000 active ad extensions per account
  • 1.3 million references to ad extensions per account**

Most advertisers don't reach this limit. Many accounts are best organized by creating one campaign and several ad groups within that campaign, and two or three ads and 10-35 keywords within each ad group. Learn more about structuring accounts.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

@Morgan wrote:

Our adwords strategy includes using a lot of negative keywords.

Why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! Thanks for your interest and support! We use lots of negative keywords in order to weed out irrelevant searches. For example, for all of our competitor's names and competitor's products; often people search for historical versions of our products so we use years as negative keywords; people all the time search for our products *with people's names* so we have all the common names as negatives as well; and so forth.

I think the only alternative I can think of is, using the Broad keywords less and modified broad more...!!!!

Thank you for your help!!!

morgan

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Morgan,

How many campaigns do you have? The negative keyword limit of 10k is per campaign so it sounds to me like structuring the campaigns could help as probably not all negatives are relevant for all keywords. This wiki on account structure might help: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/AdWords-Account-Structure/ta-p/56

Other option as you mentioned is using match types and the broad match modifier more. This wiki might help you with that: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Understanding-Evaluating-and-Managing-AdWord...

Karl

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

@Morgan wrote:

I think the only alternative I can think of is, using the Broad keywords less and modified broad more...!!!!

Thank you for your help!!!

morgan

Yes, you have answered your own question!  IMHO, the modified broad match should be the default.  Over the years, the regular broad match has become far too expansive.

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi there Morgan, 

Just to clarify the situation, there is definitely a limit of 10,000 negative keywords per campaign, which can't be overcome I'm afraid. There's been some really great ideas here about how to work with this, and broad match modifier may well be the best way of balancing your keyword needs with the negative keyword limit. 

A. 

TAN
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
TAN
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Morgan

You might want to experiment with shared negative keyword lists in the shared library.

I'm closing in on 10,000 negative words in my various shared lists despite using phrase match so I'd be interested to see how it goes for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Its highly useful discussion for negetive keywords per campaign . thx

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work with large campaigns that focus heavily on geo-targeting. And until Google comes up with "negative contextual" targeting some industries will require large negative keyword lists.