[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If I have the following keyword match types in a single ad group,

"hotel"

"budget hotel"

+budget +hotel

and one of my ads get an impression for a search term "best budget hotel in taiwan", which of the match types is going to trigger the ad here?

Is is right to have match types in such logic in a single ad group?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mainak Banerjee
July 2016

Re: Match type

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi @Mainak Banerjee,

All 3 keywords can trigger your ad. To identify which one would most likely trigger, calculate your ad rank (Ad Rank = Bid * QS).
For every auction, the keyword with the highest ad rank would win the auction from within your account and hence would be the one to trigger the ad.

Google also claims that the most relevant keyword in the most restrictive match type would trigger your ad. so in your example, it would be your phrase match keyword. But this also takes into consideration your ad rank i.e your bid. For example, if the phrase match kw has a bid of Re. 1, compared to the BMM kw with a bid of Rs. 10, & assuming both have the same QS, the BMM will get a higher AdRank and hence will win the auction.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mainak Banerjee
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi @Mainak Banerjee,

All 3 keywords can trigger your ad. To identify which one would most likely trigger, calculate your ad rank (Ad Rank = Bid * QS).
For every auction, the keyword with the highest ad rank would win the auction from within your account and hence would be the one to trigger the ad.

Google also claims that the most relevant keyword in the most restrictive match type would trigger your ad. so in your example, it would be your phrase match keyword. But this also takes into consideration your ad rank i.e your bid. For example, if the phrase match kw has a bid of Re. 1, compared to the BMM kw with a bid of Rs. 10, & assuming both have the same QS, the BMM will get a higher AdRank and hence will win the auction.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
oh.. also for your last question "Is is right to have match types in such logic in a single ad group?"..

There is no right or wrong structuring logic. There are people who keep different match types in different campaigns/adgroups and then add intercampaign/interadgroup negatives to block off the other match type. for example -
ad group 1 - conatins BMM keywords
ad group 2 - contains Exact Keywords

Ad group 1 - will contain all exact match negative keywords.
Therefore - when Kw 1 is searched for "exact"-ly, then the adgroup 2 will trigger your ad.

Also since exact match keywords, generally have better ROAS, people prefer bidding higher on exact match keywords over broad/BMM etc.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
In addition to excellent response from Shweta Shroff, I would add keyword "hotel" in phrase will consider as broad match keyword. Single word keyword are equivalent to broad match keyword. Also this keyword will be triggered by lot of non relevant queries. Queries such as:

airport distance from abc hotel
hotel pronunciation
hotel games
hotel meaning
hotel jobs
and more.

Refrain from using single word keyword. And use proper negative keywords to save click cost.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Neha.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Shweta.