3.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Match type for Adgroup level negatives

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good morning guys, I am working on preventing internal competition within my account.

Lets look at 2 specific adgroups  "New Widget" and "New Widget Cost". I don't want these two adgroups to compete, so I achieve that using Adgroup level negatives, right?

These two groups contain single keyword ads, BMM's.

So I'd essentially want to prevent the keyword +new +widget from showing for the search term "new widget cost", because it is less specific. BUT what is confusing me, is what match type for the negative keyword? Would I add +new +widget +cost, or just cost or [new widget cost]? Ugh!

If you can also explain the logic behind the choice, that would be wonderful.

The next step will also to build these out to EM adgroups and then add the EM negative to the BMM adgroup? 

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Match type for Adgroup level negatives

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Jenny.

You cannot use modified broad keywords as negatives. You may use broad, phrase and exact keywords.

If all you want is to block +new +widget from triggering ads for "new widget cost" queries, just add "cost" as a negative phrase keyword to your New Widget ad group.

By doing that, any query involving new widget (and similar terms) AND cost (anywhere in the query) will not be able to trigger ads from the "New Widget" ad group.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

I had no idea I couldn't use BMM as a negative, so a huge thank you for that. I wonder how Adwords has dealt with me adding those, I will have to check. Hopefully they've not added them as phrase.

It actually makes sense that adding 'cost' would work well. Because ultimately I want anything with the word cost in it, to be showing in the cost adgroup, not the new widget.

Many thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi again Calin, if you have a moment and don't mind answering the next part of my query, that would be wonderful. I feel I'm right on the cusp of "getting it".

I am going through my adgroups now, adding the negatives. But in certain scenarios, I'm getting confused as to the best practice.

I have an adgroup "widget cost" and another "widget installation". I was about to add "installation" as a negative to the "widget cost" adgroup. But then if somebody were to search "widget installation cost", perhaps the "widget cost" adgroup, would have actually been more relevant?

Or would it be best practice to proceed and then keep an eye on what keywords are triggering my ads, and if people were searching "widget installation cost", I would create a new adgroup for this EM phrase?

Thanks again for your input.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello, Jenny.

You'r welcome.

You can include +negative as a negative keyword in your ad group. The system will consider it a broad match negative (probably ignoring the + sign in front of it) and that's it.

As for the other question, you need to make up your mind as to what you want to achieve. If one ad group deals with selling the widget and the other with installing it, then it makes sense to exclude installation from the first ad group.

I'd go for widget installation cost in the second ad group, at first sight.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yep, I have definitely managed to confuse myself.

2 adgroups I have "new widget" and "widget installation". I added the negative keyword "installation" to "new widget" adgroup and the negative keyword "new" to the adgroup "widget installation".

The result? of course, now neither trigger for term "new boiler installation". I could add a new adgroup for "new boiler installation" specifically, but that doesn't seem like a great plan, but actually, because I want such granularity, perhaps it is the way forward?

Any thoughts from anybody, would be most welcomed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry, I posted the last question before reading your response. I appear to have my knickers in a twist over this and I'm not sure why I'm finding it so difficult to get my head around!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Sorry, Jenny, but ironing is something I'm awful at Smiley Happy.

Like I said, I would go for anything "installation" in one group, because it deals with a service. Then anything with the widget but not related to installation in another group. And that's it.

From then on I'd analyze the search terms and see if it's worth splitting even more. Going extremely granular from the get-go might be way too time consuming and may prove unnecessary.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Calin, thanks for that. Without revealing the niche, it's difficult to explain. But ultimately all of these people are looking for an install. However, some search for cost, prices, replacement etc. Others look for specific brands.

I think I am ultimately going to have to decide on a case by case basis, which negatives to use.

My initial idea was to have as follows:

[adgroup test]
[adgroup test 2]
[adgroup test 3]
and so on.

Then have "test 2" and "test 3" as a negative for [adgroup test]. But then I run in to issues like above, so I need to be a little more strategic.

All fun and games Smiley Happy