Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Match Types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear All,

In one of my campaign, I am segregating a keyword in an adgroup with different match types. In another campaign, I am segregating the adgroup based on different match types having the same keyword. So I want to know which is a best strategy to use while working with match types and why. 

A detailed explanation will be highly appreciable.

Regards,

Simayaa

2 Expert replyverified_user

Match Types

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Simayaa T,

1st scenario is somewhat SKAG(single keyword Ad group) which need much more efforts to create the structure and will be very complicated if the business offers a wide range of products or services with a big list of keywords.

2nd scenario is appropriate if you want to go with different match types of a keyword where the account structure will be less complicated.

I would recommend to bid highest on exact match type ad groups and lowest on BMM.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Match Types

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

SKAG will require even more work when exact match will start to ignore word order & function words.

Regards,

Hana

Match Types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Archit,

Both are SKAG in my opinion. In the first one, the keyword is differentiated with match types. In the second one,the adgroups are differentiated based on keyword match types. 

Please,correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Simayaa

Match Types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Hana,

Thank you for your reply. Can you please explain in details this portion of your comment "when exact match will start to ignore word order & function words" 

Regards,

Simayaa

Match Types

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi,

I think you got confused.

1st case, Ad group: single keyword with different match types.

2nd case,

Ad group 1: multiple keywords(theme based) in BMM.

Ad group 2: multiple keywords(theme based) in Phrase/Exact.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Match Types

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Simayaa T,

@Hana K is talking about changes Google announced to Exact match close variants. 

https://adwords.googleblog.com/2017/03/close-variants-now-connects-more-people.html

I am confused to understand your query, Let me try to explain what I understood first:

Do you mean following campaign structure?

Campaign1: Single Keyword Adgroups For example: Keyword: google adwords management

Adgroup1 

Keyword: +google +adwords +management

Adgroup2

Keyword: [google adwords management]

Campaign2: Themed keywords in Adgroups

For example: Keyword google adwords management, google adwords management fees, google adwords management India

Adgroup1

Keyword: +google +adwords +management

+google +adwords +management +fees

+google +adwords +management +India

Adgroup2

Keyword: [google adwords management]

[google adwords management fees]

[google adwords management India]

If above is correct, as @achint mentioned single keyword adgroups can be exhausting, if you have large number of keywords. I would prefer this strategy for few of my highly relevant keywords. And for converting keywords.

I generally do not prefer to bifurcate based on match types. I instead prefer to keep bids low for BMM & high for exact keywords.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Match Types

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

That was what I was talking about ;-) Thank you @Neha Gupta

Match Types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello @Archit, @Neha Gupta,

Thank you for your elaborate reply.

Basically I am structuring the Campaigns differently. Taking the example of Neha's keyword, here it is how I am structuring:

Campaign 1:

AdGroup1:

Keyword:

+google +adwords +management

"google adwords management"

[google adwords management]

Campaign 2:

AdGroup1:

Keyword:

+google +adwords +management

AdGroup2:

"google adwords management"

AdGroup3:

[google adwords management]

I just want to know does this two approach make any difference in the real sense.

I hope I am making sense this time.

Regards,

Simayaa

Match Types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank You @Hana K and @Neha Gupta.

I was not aware of this update.