Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Massive drop in impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Folks,

First of all let me clarify that I went through almost every similar thread here, but all of the tips I found were stuff I already looked into and don't seem to change anything.

Long story short, one of my most profitable campaigns has been consistently loosing imressions, clicks and conversions respetively for more than 30 days now and is still ongoing. Since the campaign has been running for quite a while and it had a pretty good history, as well as high QS (8-10) keywords, which eliminated the QS as a reason for the drop. Increasing the Avg. CPC by over 20% didn't help either (although the SIS and Avg. Positioning for the campaign in question improved considerably, the decline in impressions continued). Daily budget is practically unlimited. No major campaign changes according to the Changes history and no new negative keywords that could potentially cause the drop.

Checking the search query only confirmed that the main reason for the drop is receiving less impressions for the most popular search terms (note, not dropping to 0, but just decreasing big time).

At this point, I am really running out of ideas so any thoughts on the issue are more than welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Teo 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Massive drop in impressions

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Teo

Have you considered the seasonality factor, try Google Trends and search for the keyword or search query which is getting less impression as compared to previous days.

Hope this make sense!

Abhishek

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Teodor,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

Let's dig it a bit further. Click All Campaigns in the left sidebar and click Campaigns Tab on the right navigaton. Now go to Columns and Enable Search Lost IS (budget), and Search Lost IS (rank) from Competitive metrics.

Next, go to Segments and segment your data by Time > Month.

What do you see here? Increase in Lost IS ? Compare Lost IS Budget and Lost IS Rank respectively over previous months to see if your budgets or overall campaign quality is to be blamed for this drop in impression. 

Come back here with what you find Smiley Happy .

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Abhishek,

Indeed, seasonlity was one of my guesses as well. However, Google trends does not provide any evidence for that. Moreover, I compared the campaign performance with the similar period last year and difference in terms of impressions is tens of thosaunds in favour of last year.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan,

Thanks for the tip. I just had look through the Search Lost IS (budget) and Search Lost IS (rank), but the data suggest the behavioir of the campaign should be exactly the opposite.

As a matter of fact during its most profitable months the campaign had considerably higher portion of lost IS due to rank. The problem first occured in September, which made me push CPC higher and from October onwards loss of IS actually decreased more than 30%. Again, budget cap is practically unreachable, so that loss of IS due to budget is non-existing.

With that in mind I don't think that campaign quality or eligibility is the cause for this anomaly.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Could you please tell us the industry in which you are in? May be their is some kind of change in trends, just for an example a launch of new mobile handset can decrease impressions of others models as well or a popular tourist destination which has received good number of impressions last year is not that popular now because some other destinations have become more popular than that.

I have seen this in case of Tourism domain.

Hope that make sense.

Abhishek

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree with you that user behaviour and seasonaltiy could be part of the explanation. Especially bearing in mind that the business is operating within the travel and tourism indutry.

The data from google trends does hint that a slowdown in search volume could be expected around this time of the year. The reason for my concern though is the impact this slowdown has on the campaign. It is simply disproportionate. Comparing the last 30 days the drop in impressions is almost 50% and compared to October 2013 it is around 60%.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Teodor, silly question, I guess, but you don't have access to any data from last year, do you?  If not AdWords, then Analytics?

I too am leaning towards seasonality.  I have several Accounts that drop off strongly this time of year and if you're advertising in the US, bear in mind this week is Thanksgiving and, for much of the rest of the world we're well into the run up to the holidays.

Could weather be a factor?  Weather can affect even products/services that wouldn't appear to be directly affected.  People behave differently when the weather is warm and sunny to when it's colder/raining/windy.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Checking the data from last year was one of the first things I did and this is exactly why I am so confused right now.

In October 2013 the campaign's CPC and impression share were considerably lower than than this year's. Even so, the impressions volume was much much higher back than.

Seasonality is one explaination, but the scale of the drop in impressions indicates to me there is perhaps something else in addition.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hi Teodor,

Looks like you have covered almost every angle here. Can we just try one last approach?

Can you check the Auction Insight Reports for your most performing keywords/themes?
I am guessing Competition and seasonality are the cause of this substantial drop. Also bear in mind, user behavior can change every year, so just looking at trends will not be helpful. You may need to adapt to the changes you are seeing in your account and deal with it one step at a time.

By looking at the Auction Insight Report, you will understand who are the Competitors you are competing with most of the time. For your competition check for the overlap rate, position above rate, Top of the page Rate & Out ranking Share.

These metrics should help you understand your position as against your competition and also help you understand what needs to be done to improve your performance.

I am sure you are well aware of the Auction Insight Report, but still have a read here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"