Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Massive drop in impression / IS

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,  

This is a question regarding a massive drop in impression + traffic.

One of my campaign is loosing 65K impressions in one week, just on one keyword.

Looking at this keyword impression share, it went from 76% to 19% within a week. This is the same for competitors.

Does someone have had the same issue and knows where the problems comes from and what can I do?

Thanks a lot!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Massive drop in impression / IS

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Albane,

I suggest adding the columns for IS lost to rank and IS lost to budget. This will give you a better understanding of what is happening.

There are various reasons for a large drop in traffic, but the fact that you have lost IS to such an extent indicates not a change in search behaviour but rather an issue with your account. Either your QS has dropped recently, or your bids have been lowered to far. Or perhaps there have been budget changes.

Let me know what those columns say and perhaps we can get to the bottom of the issue.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

The possibility of the Drop in impression share could be due to many factors which might include making changes to the target regions, any budget level changes. bidding changes or some drop in the Quality Score etc... since the time you witnessed the drop. Another possibility could be outside factors which are not controlled by the AdWords directly and that includes holiday season etc...

I would suggest you to review your Change History data and see if above mentioned changes might have impacted your account.

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Exact mach impression share is a better indication, since it  represents only auctions in which there is no question your ad  should be shown. (The estimation of "comparative actions" does not include auctions in which a broad match KW  keyword might trigger the ad when matched to a synonym - for example.)

Do you see a decrease (also) in this metric?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Go to "Columns"

Click "Customize Column"

Select "Competitive Metrics"

Add IS Lost Due to Rank and Budget for Display and Search.

Now, you can clearly see where you need to fix.

If budget, simply add the budget.

If Rank, improve your QS by changing the keyword match type to phrase or exact. ++ bid for that keyword. That should fix your problem.

Albane wrote:

Hi everyone,  

This is a question regarding a massive drop in impression + traffic.

One of my campaign is loosing 65K impressions in one week, just on one keyword.

Looking at this keyword impression share, it went from 76% to 19% within a week. This is the same for competitors.

Does someone have had the same issue and knows where the problems comes from and what can I do?

Thanks a lot!