AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Manual Bidding Vs Automatic Bidding

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you agree that Manual Bidding is more cost efficient than Automatic Bidding?

More Power,
Loraine
3 Expert replyverified_user
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Manual Bidding Vs Automatic Bidding

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

I would say automatic bidding can be a good way for a beginner advertiser to test the waters as it lets the system do a lot of the work for you.

Manual bidding gives you more control so when you are comfortable making more changes in the account, you can make these based on certain performance metrics such as cost/conv etc.

Personally, I never use automatic bidding but I'm a long term AdWords user (since 2003) and am pretty comfortable making my own changes ;-)

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi LoraineQuiaoit,

Personally I also prefer the Manual Bidding for my account.

But, if you are new or don't have enogh time to sepnd on adwords so it may be worthfull to test Automatic Bidding.

Automatic Bidding means you are giving Control to Adword System who take care of your budget to bring you the most possible clicks.

Please keep close eyes on your account and check the peformance and if you aren't seeing the positive results that you need then don't forgot to switch your bidding on Manual Bidding.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=2375454&from=99484&rd=1

Thanks
Anchal 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi LoraineQuiaoit,

Agree with Purepuzz! Great Response above!

I Prefer to go with Manual bidding so that I can optimize keywords bids in order to get the "Avg. Position" that I want.

If you want to maximize YOUR profit, use manual bidding.

Manual bidding requires manual work but it's actually profitable.

Automatic bidding gives an Idea of Keywords bid trends & you can initally start with Automatic bidding. Once you get Avg. CPC idea you can switch back to Manual bidding. But ultimately It is better to switch to manual bidding.

Edit: Google says:

If you're not sure which keywords or placements are most profitable, or if you don't have time to devote to managing manual bids, automatic bidding is probably a better fit for you.

Automatic bidding isn't a good choice for you if your advertising goals include maintaining a specific ad position or cost per conversion.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LoraineQuiaoit
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Based on my one year experience of campaign management, Manual Bidding yields cheaper cost per click at the end of the dayWoman Wink

More Power,
Loraine

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I'll add my own "manual bidding" vote to the list, although I'll admit perhaps to "semi-auto" bidding Smiley Happy

I tend to manually bid initially, then control the individual Keyword level bids, or possibly the Ad Group default CPC (depending on the circumstances) via Automated Rules.  It's kind of semi-auto as the bids are changed automatically but it's me who sets the rules that control that automation.  Seems to work quite well.

As far as recommending an agency, we'd prefer not to do so publicly on this board as we try to keep it from becoming a platform for job seeking/supplying, however, I'll happily share some tips:

1. Don't be fooled by any company that offers any kind of "one size fits all" solution (e.g. you pay a flat fee per month to "buy" 10 Keywords, etc.).  AdWords just doesn't work that way and any company offering this kind of service is at best not working your money to its best advantage.
  2. Always "own" your own Account and give the agency access as a manager.  Don't allow them to run Ads on their Account to which you have no rights of access.  In this way, if you decide to part company, you can simply withdraw their access and your Account continues to run.  You can also see everything that is done by the agency and whether they're earning their money.
  3. Don't be blinded by the AdWords Certified Partner badge.  Although I'd expect a company to be a Partner, having this certification doesn't guarantee the quality of the work carried out and not having it doesn't mean the company works poorly (some of our most learned TCs here are not Certified Partners).  Judge companies by your interactions with them and how they work on your Account, not by a badge.
  4. Ask here!  If a company says they'll manage your Account, post here what they're charging and how they'll work with you and we'll tell you if it sounds reasonable!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

I would say automatic bidding can be a good way for a beginner advertiser to test the waters as it lets the system do a lot of the work for you.

Manual bidding gives you more control so when you are comfortable making more changes in the account, you can make these based on certain performance metrics such as cost/conv etc.

Personally, I never use automatic bidding but I'm a long term AdWords user (since 2003) and am pretty comfortable making my own changes ;-)

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi LoraineQuiaoit,

Personally I also prefer the Manual Bidding for my account.

But, if you are new or don't have enogh time to sepnd on adwords so it may be worthfull to test Automatic Bidding.

Automatic Bidding means you are giving Control to Adword System who take care of your budget to bring you the most possible clicks.

Please keep close eyes on your account and check the peformance and if you aren't seeing the positive results that you need then don't forgot to switch your bidding on Manual Bidding.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=2375454&from=99484&rd=1

Thanks
Anchal 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi LoraineQuiaoit,

Agree with Purepuzz! Great Response above!

I Prefer to go with Manual bidding so that I can optimize keywords bids in order to get the "Avg. Position" that I want.

If you want to maximize YOUR profit, use manual bidding.

Manual bidding requires manual work but it's actually profitable.

Automatic bidding gives an Idea of Keywords bid trends & you can initally start with Automatic bidding. Once you get Avg. CPC idea you can switch back to Manual bidding. But ultimately It is better to switch to manual bidding.

Edit: Google says:

If you're not sure which keywords or placements are most profitable, or if you don't have time to devote to managing manual bids, automatic bidding is probably a better fit for you.

Automatic bidding isn't a good choice for you if your advertising goals include maintaining a specific ad position or cost per conversion.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LoraineQuiaoit
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Based on my one year experience of campaign management, Manual Bidding yields cheaper cost per click at the end of the dayWoman Wink

More Power,
Loraine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks...can you suggest a company that will handle campaign management for me at a decent price?

Jenna

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I'll add my own "manual bidding" vote to the list, although I'll admit perhaps to "semi-auto" bidding Smiley Happy

I tend to manually bid initially, then control the individual Keyword level bids, or possibly the Ad Group default CPC (depending on the circumstances) via Automated Rules.  It's kind of semi-auto as the bids are changed automatically but it's me who sets the rules that control that automation.  Seems to work quite well.

As far as recommending an agency, we'd prefer not to do so publicly on this board as we try to keep it from becoming a platform for job seeking/supplying, however, I'll happily share some tips:

1. Don't be fooled by any company that offers any kind of "one size fits all" solution (e.g. you pay a flat fee per month to "buy" 10 Keywords, etc.).  AdWords just doesn't work that way and any company offering this kind of service is at best not working your money to its best advantage.
  2. Always "own" your own Account and give the agency access as a manager.  Don't allow them to run Ads on their Account to which you have no rights of access.  In this way, if you decide to part company, you can simply withdraw their access and your Account continues to run.  You can also see everything that is done by the agency and whether they're earning their money.
  3. Don't be blinded by the AdWords Certified Partner badge.  Although I'd expect a company to be a Partner, having this certification doesn't guarantee the quality of the work carried out and not having it doesn't mean the company works poorly (some of our most learned TCs here are not Certified Partners).  Judge companies by your interactions with them and how they work on your Account, not by a badge.
  4. Ask here!  If a company says they'll manage your Account, post here what they're charging and how they'll work with you and we'll tell you if it sounds reasonable!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We'll be glad to do it Smiley Happy We've been handling Adwords clients for a while now Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Auto biding is really good .. I am getting good clicks at minimum CPC ..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cobnut's advice above is excellent and we agree entirely.

Our view is that manual bidding produces better results IF it's being actively managed. If you don't have the time or ability to do that, you can either use automatic billiing, have a full service agency handle it, or have a third party optimization service like ours manage your bidding.