AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Managing Search Partner Network - Effectively

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All

On a few campaigns i am at 95% impression share on google.co.uk, at 1000 daily impressions with 3% CTR (avg pos 4-5), it only gets me 30 clicks (these are relevant impressions with lots of campaign negatives, if i loosen things up, i see irrelevant matched search queries).

Other than testing ways to increase CTR with new ad copies, i can either keep adding new keywords (which i get from SQRs), increase bids (which will not be feasible) or turn on search partners.

If i turn search partners on, it brings a lot of low quality traffic at google.co.uk CPC rates. Ive copied a couple of campaigns and reduced bids by 25%, this works well, i saw decent number of conversions at lower CPA but this gets very difficult to manage on an ongoing basis. I have setup some automated rules on the main google.co.uk campaign within the adwords interface (not using a bid management software) to stay on pos 4-6. As QS increases, avg pos increases and rules decrease these bids, it starts clashing with search network campaigns. Therefore maintaining this "25% differece" in bids between the two campaigns so the higher shows on google.co.uk and lower on search partners is difficult.

I understand a lot of this depends on niche and competetion and can be answered by testing, but would be great to hear your thoughts. What are your thoughts on managing Search Partners? Do you leave it on with your main campaign or is there a better way?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Managing Search Partner Network - Effectively

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi cartman,

You have only 2 options here:

One would be to turn the Search Partners off and run the campaign only for Google search.

Another to keep it running on both i.e. Google search as well as search partners.

Unfortunately there is no option to create a dedicated campaign only for Search Partners.

But what you can do is that look at the 2 months data, segment it by Network(with search partners) and then analyse the situation. See how's the CTR on search partners, how's the avg. CPC and most importantly, what is the ROI.

So if I would be there in your situation, if I am not getting anything in  terms of conversions from search partners, I would simply turn it off and then read the data for another couple of months to see how's the overall impact.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey Cartman,

Unfortunately, since Google doesnt allow a dedicated campaign for the Search Partners.. Creating new campaigns n lowering bids is the only thing I could think of too. I have implemented this on a few accounts.. 

I agree it is very cumbersome, but I dont think there is another way unless Google allows us to change settings! Smiley Wink

I have discussed this with an account strategist at Google too.. They didnt seem to have any other way too.

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just wanted to add that this campaign is 2 months old. Avg CPCs and min first page bids have not come down by that much, though QS's are in 7-10 range.
Is it wise to turn on search partners when the min first page and avg cpc's come down as campaign gathers data and matures?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi cartman,

You have only 2 options here:

One would be to turn the Search Partners off and run the campaign only for Google search.

Another to keep it running on both i.e. Google search as well as search partners.

Unfortunately there is no option to create a dedicated campaign only for Search Partners.

But what you can do is that look at the 2 months data, segment it by Network(with search partners) and then analyse the situation. See how's the CTR on search partners, how's the avg. CPC and most importantly, what is the ROI.

So if I would be there in your situation, if I am not getting anything in  terms of conversions from search partners, I would simply turn it off and then read the data for another couple of months to see how's the overall impact.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pankaj

My question is about a way of managing search partner network and its bids. Just "turning it on or off" is for simpletons. I know there are many advanced ways including setting up analytics filters to track sites within the search network and then targeting them etc.

When people advice copy the campaign and reduce its bids by 25%, it works ok in the short term but i am now finding it cumbersome in terms of bid management. There have to be clever ways of managing this (that i dont know).

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@cartman wrote:

Pankaj

My question is about a way of managing search partner network and its bids. Just "turning it on or off" is for simpletons. I know there are many advanced ways including setting up analytics filters to track sites within the search network and then targeting them etc.

When people advice copy the campaign and reduce its bids by 25%, it works ok in the short term but i am now finding it cumbersome in terms of bid management. There have to be clever ways of managing this (that i dont know).

@@cartman, I don't think that you can exclude or target specific search partner in regular scenario.

But I have heard that in case of big advertisers with potential good monthly spend, there are dedicated Account managers assigned from Google's side. For them there might be some request accepted. That's the only possibility I could think of. 

If you fall in that bucket, you could ask your account manager fo some special request if that's feasible.

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey Cartman,

Unfortunately, since Google doesnt allow a dedicated campaign for the Search Partners.. Creating new campaigns n lowering bids is the only thing I could think of too. I have implemented this on a few accounts.. 

I agree it is very cumbersome, but I dont think there is another way unless Google allows us to change settings! Smiley Wink

I have discussed this with an account strategist at Google too.. They didnt seem to have any other way too.

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!