AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Managed Placements, Keywords and topics (play store)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I'm starting a Display Network Only - Mobile apps campaign and I have some questions. First of all I only want to display my ad to Android devices. So, I have set as placement all the play store.

Considering that:

what happens if I set keywords in my adgroup?

what happens if I set topics in my adgroup?

There is some way to only show adds to the app's users that have searched before some keyword in specific in google search (I only want to show ads in apps)?

Thank you,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Managed Placements, Keywords and topics (play store)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

If you  add keywords, the system will try to match the theme of these keywords to relevant webpages with content that matches the theme (of the keywords). If you also add topics the system will target only pages on the topics list that also match the theme (of the keywords) - The AND condition applies.

Read more:

Where ads might appear within the Google Display Network

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

But what about mobile apps? What happens if I'm targeting mobile apps as placement and I set keywords or topics?

Thank you,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV!

I am running event tickets business and just out curiosity about 'how to add Topics', I added a few random health related 'Topics' to one of my PAUSED campaigns, the only effect I can see after 10-12 days is the account suspension Smiley Sad I never touched the account OR campaigns again.

Do you think adding such Topics to an event tickets campaign can cause it to happen? What my understanding is 'Topics' mean what theme websites you want your ads to appear, can Google have any concerns if I want my tickets ads appearing on a health site?

Please advise.

Nabeel

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@ David; This is an interesting question;...

If you target the "mobile display network" (i.e mobile apps)   your ad is shown on mobile apps,  using contextual targeting. I assume the same applies for topics;

The help center says the following:

• >>The mobile Display Network includes mobile apps, which can be purchased in the iPhone App Store or Google Play Store. So, if you've set up your campaign to display ads on the Display Network and you're targeting iPhones and other mobile devices with full Internet browsers, then your ads will automatically be eligible to appear in mobile apps on the Google AdMob network.
  • >>Mobile app campaigns created in this way will rely on contextual targeting to show in apps. That is, your ads will be matched to mobile apps and mobile sites on the Display Network using the same contextual targeting guidelines that are used to show your ads on computers, based on the keywords you choose for your campaigns

@M Nabbeel;

The suspension has nothing to do with the changes you made. Those might trigger the Google bot to check your site. But, the suspension is based solely on the content of your site, and its compliance with the Policy

@

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you @mosheTLV, I think that topics doesn't works if you target play store as placement. Adwords editor let you enter new topics but not via web. So, I suppose that's not possible to combine placements and topics if you are targeting play store.

Thank you,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@David, I am doing the same ads method as you do.  And I haven't found an effective way to improve the app display ads. But I will keep trying to combine app placement with other targeting methods, and see which way can get better cvr.