1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Maintain 1st rank on ppc on every search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible to maintain 1st rank on ppc on every search .

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sumit_Prasad
September 2015

Re: Maintain 1st rank on ppc on every search

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Sumit,

Sumit_Prasad wrote:

Is it possible to maintain 1st rank on ppc on every search .

In theory you can, but practically I haven't seen getting ad on top for each and every query. You can try to accomplish this so that if your ad quality is excellent, Google might show your ad on top for majority of the searches.

Read this article and follow the steps to strive for what you are aiming here.

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Just a quick addition to Pankaj's answer;

Though (in theory - as Pankaj said), it could be achieved. No one can guarantee that.

So, don't trust all those agencies out there, that (attempt) to promise ranking.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi Sumit,

It is not possible to get 1st rank for all search but through optimzation process you can get it  for most of  the searches.

you need to be focus on QS of your keyword ,keyword relevancy, how relevent your ad is and bid helps you in getting 1st rank.

thanks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Sudhanshu for the concern & valuable suggestion you gave.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Sumit_Prasad, if I may, I'd add one additional thought.

Pursuing the #1 spot aggressively can, in many cases, be inefficient in terms of Return on Investment.  While it is true that the #1 position (especially the top #1 position) gets great CTR, it is often also the most expensive position in terms of CPC.  Even if your Quality Score(s) are 10/10, you may still end up in a "bidding war" with the #2 position advertiser and this can lead to your CPC costs being far higher than they need to be.

How important this is depends upon your budget and the available profit margin of your product.  If your net profit is still high - even with an "inflated" CPC spend, then it may be worthwhile, but in cases where that profit margin is not so good, it can have a real effect.

Also bear in mind the impact on your budget.  If your budget is $100 per day and each #1 position click costs you $2, you can only ever get 50 clicks per day.  A lower position will cost less - possibly a fair bit less - and so you could get more clicks, even though the CTR will be lower.  Assuming your conversion rates remain the same - and there's no reason to think a click from the #1 position is more or less likely to convert than a click from the #4 or #5 position - you could, in theory, actually get more sales per day by having a lower position.

In short, don't chase the #1 position to the exclusion of all other monitoring and measuring.  Run experiments, examine costs, CTR, conversions, etc.  and make sure it's not harming your campaign performance.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jon,

While I agree with your comment here regarding finding the position/bid range that produces maximum ROI, I'd like to explore this statement with you a bit further:

"Assuming your conversion rates remain the same - and there's no reason to think a click from the #1 position is more or less likely to convert than a click from the #4 or #5 position - you could, in theory, actually get more sales per day by having a lower position"

Do you have significant experience, or links to articles, that support this claim? I've been under the impression that a user who views and clicks an ad in the top position is less likely to have already clicked multiple competitors ads as well in a comparison fashion. Capturing a "view, click, buy" customer, at least in a vertical that has a very short sales funnel, is very important. If a user clicks my ad in position 4, unless my ad has some sort of outstanding call-to-action or promotion, it's likely not the first ad they have clicked.

I have analyzed the top vs other segmentation data in my AdWords accounts extensively and fairly consistently see conversion rates that are much higher in the top sections.

I am not arguing this point, just hoping you have some real-world experience as my understanding of this concept has been limited to my own personal data.

Any knowledge you could shed would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello Alex;

I will join the conversation...

Quote:

>> I have analyzed the top vs other segmentation data in my AdWords accounts extensively and fairly consistently see conversion rates that are much higher in the top sections.

I agree with Jon, though I have not seen any articles on conversion statistic relative to rank. (Though, I am sure this statistic is somewhere, but not published)

I would categorize it a bit differently: ads above the folds, compared to ads below the fold. I think that you would intuitively agree, that ads that appear above the fold tend to convert higher than those below the fold. (Where a user needs to scroll down to see the ads)

The question is now, what rank is above or below the fold: this depends on two factors :The size and resolution of the display screen, and if ads are shown above search results. (If not then #5 is the border line). My rule of thumb: #6-7 is the border line (usually 2-3 above the search results + 4 on the side, before a user needs to scroll).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Moshe,

As a new contributor to the AdWords Community but a very experienced AdWords advertiser I just want to preface our continued conversations moving forward:

I tend to look very far into things and may come across as abrasive but that is not at all my intention! I just enjoy productive feedback and thinking a bit outside the box. I am not challenging anyone, just trying to pry for a little bit of information if it is available - sorry if I come across that way.

That being said, your response was interesting:

"I would categorize it a bit differently: ads above the folds, compared to ads below the fold. I think that you would intuitively agree, that ads that appear above the fold tend to convert higher than those below the fold. (Where a user needs to scroll down to see the ads)"

What would being above or below the fold have to do with conversion rates, if we are talking about conversion rates strictly as clicks/conversions? The above/below the fold argument will definitely have a huge factor on CTR, as most people will click on an ad within their visual range before scrolling down, but will a user that clicks on an ad below the fold be less likely to convert once they hit the site than someone who clicks on an above the fold ad?

Alex

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello again amartin527;

If I was misunderstood, let me make it clear. (Since I did not quote all the paragraphs; I don't like "long quotes"... Smiley Surprised)

I was referring to clicks.  A Conversion, eventually, happens AFTER the click, and is - in my view, and probably of other too - a matter of the quality / attractiveness of the landing page...

As Jon said (and you quoted).

>> "and there's no reason to think a click from the #1 position is more or less likely to convert than a click from the #4 or #5 position - you could, in theory, actually get more sales per day by having a lower position."

Just to make my point clear...Smiley Happy