3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Lowering bids while maintaining QS

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I recently began lowering my bids during certain time periods because my data shows that those times of day are the most expensive and least productive for me. I have been using automated rules to lower the bids significantly for several hours a day, and then return them to their original bid amount.

Within about 2-3 weeks of making this change, my quality scores had dropped 3 points. More troubling than that, my conversion rates went down during my prime times (when my bids are at the higher amounts). I realize that there are a lot of factors that go into Quality Scores (and conversion rates), but I'm wondering if my automated rules are part of the problem.

My interpretation of the situation is that my ads are performing poorly when the bids are lowered, and that's dragging down the QS.

I don't want to pause the keywords entirely - I just want to pay less for clicks during my slow times of day.

Suggestions?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author fnippy
September 2015

Re: Lowering bids while maintaining QS

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 14
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
To echo Matt S regarding attribution, I would not put much weight in differences of conversion rates by the hour. The Internet is 24/7 and people will buy at a time convenient to them and that could be any time of day. And as Matt said, the first click can be responsible for a sale and should receive partial credit. Problem is, you don't know if that's the case since the conversion is attributed to the last click. That second click may not even happen on the same computer (it may even be on totally different keywords) and there may not even be a click if they come direct as they now know you exist.

When you lower bids, as you probably know, it's normal to get lower positions. Your position is calculated based on QS and bid.

In many cases, conversion rates are better when you are in the higher positions. So if you lower your bid, you may have affected your rate as you did your position. You do say you lower them significantly.

As for the QS going down, QS is calculated in large part by comparing your CTR with that of competitors. But very important to keep in mind is that it is done by position. Sure, your absolute CTR will go down as your position goes down. But so does everybody else, assuming all else is equal: same keywords, ads, settings, etc.

Looking at it another way, if your ad in one position typically has a CTR 25% better than a competitor, chances are it will still be 25% better than that same competitor's ad in a much lower position. That's QS in a nutshell. It seems extremely unlikely to have an ad that does so much worse than the same competition simply because you are now in a lower position.

Finally, given Google's recent change of QS reporting, you can't compare before the change and after the change. It's not apples to apples and that's Google saying that. I saw the same thing too. QS of 10 for 90% or more of keywords in one account but now, many 9s and 8s have appeared with 10s being about 70%.

My suggestion is leave bids as is all the time. Continue improving ads with the goal of improving CTR for the same position.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

The issue here is that when you add a new keyword, the QS "given" is based on other advertisers' "average" QS for that specific KW. Only after 1000 impressions your own campaign performances "kick in"  - and this is mainly  the CTR. Many new advertisers  experience the same "behavior" of a drop in QS.

Work on your CTR by improving your ad-copy  (to tightly match  keywords), make sure that the ad-copy is attractive and relevant and pause / delete poor performing keywords;

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Moshe. None of the keywords in question are new. They've been up for more than a year. The only change I made was to institute automated rules for raising and lowering bids at specific times of day.

In my case, I worked very hard to get my QS for these keywords as high as I could. Some were 10s. But now they've dropped.

I know there are lots of factors, including competition, that affect QS, but I'm just wondering if my actions could have contributed to the drop in QS.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi fnippy,

You say those time periods are "the most expensive and least productive for me".

Were you getting a good CTR but a low conversion rate?

Has your overall CTR gone down over this period?

Has the CTR for these keywords gone down?

Do the lower bids still get a high number of impressions, but a lower position on the page?

If you answered yes to at least 2 of these questions, it is likely your bid adjustments are the culprit.

Once your keyword has 1000 or more impressions, the one factor, regardless of what else you may hear or read, is CTR. What about ad relevancy? That translates to the CTR of the ad/keyword combination. What about the landing page? It's score is not likely to change after the initial evaluation, so it's really not a factor in the changes in QS.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi fnippy,

I cannot see anywhere in your question or replies about -

1. Keyword Match Types

2. If Broad Match Keywords Are You Optimizing The Search Queries?

3. Its Better To Use Ad-Scheduling At Campaigns Levels than automated rules.

4. Have you made changes to the adcopies recently?

5. Do you have sitelinks or other ad-extensions? Do you see any statistics on them since your new adjustments?

If you would answer on these you would get to know about lower conversion rate and also CTR.

Thanks,

Chetan.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@fnippy ;

We have seen some reports, lately, by advertisers, complaining about a drop in QS, due to the latest changes in QS reporting (which Google announced last month)

Check this discussion;

Is 5/10 the new average Quality Score?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks, Pete.

Were you getting a good CTR but a low conversion rate? Yes. I identified this time period as a interval when conversions were low to non-existent despite getting clicks.

Has your overall CTR gone down over this period? Since the changes, yes

Has the CTR for these keywords gone down? Somewhat

Do the lower bids still get a high number of impressions, but a lower position on the page? The average position is now lower on the page

Landing page and ad relevance are "average" and "above average" for the keywords in question.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

1. Keyword Match Types - All the keywords in this campaign are exact match

2. If Broad Match Keywords Are You Optimizing The Search Queries?

3. Its Better To Use Ad-Scheduling At Campaigns Levels than automated rules. Thanks. I wondered if there was a difference.

4. Have you made changes to the adcopies recently? No. They have been stable for several months. I arrived at these after considerable experimentation and testing.

5. Do you have sitelinks or other ad-extensions? Do you see any statistics on them since your new adjustments? I am using sitelink extensions and those are being shown most of the time, according to reporting.

Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@MosheTLV Thanks for the information. I found the discussion, but had to search for it. It's helpful to know the timing of the changes at Adwords.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
@MosheTLV I tried opening that link (5/10 new avg QS?) but got an error message, FYI:

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
Sorry, your request failed. A notification has been sent to the development team for investigation.
Exception ID: 32F7D893
Please click the Back button on your browser.